SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Plugin Development

Old 05/08/2017, 07:11 PM   #5641
TommyB
Big Clucker

Default Re: Streamer Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salik View Post
Dear Incognito, could you simplify the function 'Streamer_GetNearbyItems', I almost did not understand how it works, how to determine the number of Objects in a given position, could make it something to return a count of objects or to show an example.

https://github.com/samp-incognito/sa...GetNearbyItems
That has all the info you need. If you wish to grab the number of objects in that position after using the native, you can use 'strlen(yourarray)'.
Old 05/08/2017, 07:47 PM   #5642
Salik
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
That has all the info you need. If you wish to grab the number of objects in that position after using the native, you can use 'strlen(yourarray)'.

Do you think I did not watch the wiki? If you can help me make this function, it will stupidly return 0 or 1 ...
Not just a return, to the array ...
Salik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/08/2017, 01:42 PM   #5643
BeckzyBoi
High-roller

22 commits since 2.9.1. When is 2.9.2 coming? I'm getting sick of the checkpoint bug where they don't show until you re-enter the area. I know that one of the commits fixes this. I'd have thought you'd released 2.9.2 by now so people can download it, use it, and not experience that horrific bug.
Old 07/08/2017, 01:24 PM   #5644
MrHarry
Little Clucker

Quote:
Woah, thanks!
MrHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 01:28 PM   #5645
donsta3000
Little Clucker

Very good plugin

Feel free to ask me any questions however, I can't guarantee I'll answer!
donsta3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 03:31 PM   #5646
IstuntmanI
High-roller

Quote:
strlen is recommended only for char arrays. I guess you could use it in that case too, but it isn't recommended.
That wiki page says that it returns 0 or 1. It actually returns the size of final items: https://github.com/samp-incognito/sa...eous.cpp#L1682 . I don't think it is limited by the "maxitems" parameter, so he could actually use
Code:
new items = Streamer_GetNearbyItems( ... );
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckzyBoi View Post
22 commits since 2.9.1. When is 2.9.2 coming? I'm getting sick of the checkpoint bug where they don't show until you re-enter the area. I know that one of the commits fixes this. I'd have thought you'd released 2.9.2 by now so people can download it, use it, and not experience that horrific bug.
As you may know, Streamer Plugin has a crash bug probably since chunks were added:
https://github.com/samp-incognito/sa...gin/issues/205. I remember that Incognito said in one of those issues that he will release the next version when he will be sure that crash was fixed. He can't find the source of server crash. It acts weird. He made few commits to try to fix it, but with no result.

IstuntmanI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 06:11 PM   #5647
[HLF]Southclaw
High-roller

@Salik, @TommyB, @IstuntmanI - do not use strlen for non-strings under any circumstances! If you pass a brand new array, strlen will return 0 and I don't think it would do any harm, the maxlen param ends its life in this function: https://sourcegraph.com/github.com/s...oArray#L92-108 but it certainly wouldn't do anything useful at all.

Use sizeof, it's even the default. You can also limit the amount of work done by using some value lower than sizeof if for example you only want the closest 3 items.

Contact me:
My discord: dc.southcla.ws

I have limited internet right now so expect periodic inactivity!
[HLF]Southclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 07:34 PM   #5648
IstuntmanI
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw View Post
@Salik, @TommyB, @IstuntmanI - do not use strlen for non-strings under any circumstances! If you pass a brand new array, strlen will return 0 and I don't think it would do any harm, the maxlen param ends its life in this function: https://sourcegraph.com/github.com/s...oArray#L92-108 but it certainly wouldn't do anything useful at all.

Use sizeof, it's even the default. You can also limit the amount of work done by using some value lower than sizeof if for example you only want the closest 3 items.
Well, I told him that it isn't recommended. I wrote something about sizeof too, but I deleted it afterwards, because that's not what he wants. sizeof only gets an array dimension size at compile time, but he wanted the number of IDs that will be filled in at run time (or maybe even more than that, if the array isn't big enough, maybe he wants the total nearby IDs without any array limit, which is what that function actually returns).

The downside of using strlen: it can report a wrong size if the whole array is filled up with IDs different than 0, so it won't find the internal 0 correctly. It may check too much causing some kind of buffer overflow.

IstuntmanI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 07:43 PM   #5649
TommyB
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw View Post

That's strange because the following code works flawlessly for me.

PHP Code:
new DynamicPickup:pickups[300], Float:xFloat:yFloat:zidpickuparray[2];
GetPlayerPos(playeridxyz);
Streamer_GetNearbyItems(xyzSTREAMER_TYPE_PICKUPpickups300dist);
for(new 
0strlen(_:pickups); p++)
{

Streamer_GetArrayData(STREAMER_TYPE_PICKUPpickups[p], E_STREAMER_EXTRA_IDpickuparray);

//...

In fact, running that code in an area that only has two pickups gives me these results with strlen and sizeof.

Code:
[14:28:02] strlen: 2 sizeof: 300
The loop works exactly as intended and only iterates twice where I tested it. Using sizeof would in my case would would cause 300 iterations, 298 of them being absolutely useless.
Old 07/08/2017, 08:46 PM   #5650
[HLF]Southclaw
High-roller

Just because something works doesn't mean it's a good thing to do!

The strlen use in your loop isn't good practice at all, the only reason it stops at the right value is because strings end with a zero cell but there's no guarantee that output array would be filled with zeroes after the given length (this is usually referred to as "undefined behaviour" - relying on this isn't ever a good idea as an implementation change in the plugin code could render your check code useless).

As mentioned before, the correct result size is actually returned as a value from the function, so the best way to handle this would be:

Code:
new DynamicPickup:pickups[300], Float:x, Float:y, Float:z, id, pickuparray[2], resultLength;
GetPlayerPos(playerid, x, y, z); 
resultLength = Streamer_GetNearbyItems(x, y, z, STREAMER_TYPE_PICKUP, pickups, sizeof(pickups), dist); 
for(new p = 0; p < length; p++) 
{ 
    Streamer_GetArrayData(STREAMER_TYPE_PICKUP, pickups[p], E_STREAMER_EXTRA_ID, pickuparray); 

//... 
}

Contact me:
My discord: dc.southcla.ws

I have limited internet right now so expect periodic inactivity!
[HLF]Southclaw is offline   Reply With Quote