SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Plugin Development

Old 08/11/2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Calgon
Godfather

Default Re: Plugin development guide

Creating C++ projects and adding libraries is pretty simple, but when you've got a set of libraries already included like SA-MP - you're limited to what you can add and how, this could probably be explained a bit.

Also, explaining a bit about a pre-existing plugin and how it works would be pretty cool, not sure which one you could talk about though.

Sorry if I sounded rude, I am thankful as I can compare what I already know to this guide, but I still have some massive gaps in C++ and my understanding of the SDK, I'm not entirely confident enough to create a complex plugin alternative for something I could perhaps already make in Pawn.
Old 08/11/2011, 06:59 PM   #22
TheArcher
High-roller

Amazing effort it worth it. Thanks
Old 08/11/2011, 07:03 PM   #23
Kyosaur
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon View Post
Creating C++ projects and adding libraries is pretty simple, but when you've got a set of libraries already included like SA-MP - you're limited to what you can add and how, this could probably be explained a bit.

Also, explaining a bit about a pre-existing plugin and how it works would be pretty cool, not sure which one you could talk about though.

Sorry if I sounded rude, I am thankful as I can compare what I already know to this guide, but I still have some massive gaps in C++ and my understanding of the SDK, I'm not entirely confident enough to create a complex plugin alternative for something I could perhaps already make in Pawn.
I agree with the creating projects/including libraries bit. Part of me didnt want to add the "Getting started" section as it was very simple stuff that i believed would bring up basic C/++ questions and problems, and also because RyDeR` already covered it. I decided to add it for completeness and so i could expand on what RyDeR` had already covered though (it acted as a nice spring board into the examining of the .def/source files, so thats good).

Im not sure how i feel about breaking down a plugin bit by bit ... the thing that worries me is that i'd have to cover a lot of C/++ code in doing so. I have nothing against explaining C/++ related content, but i wanted to keep this focused on the actual SDK (The mods have made it clear that this forum isnt for C/++ help or questions- which is kind of a shame). If there is a lot of interest in plugin development (and as such an interest in this topic) i might include a tutorial on the language itself (everything from data types, to polymorphism).

Until then though, you're welcome to put something together. If it fits well in the article (structure, speech, and consistency wise) i'll definitely add it. The original point was to have this as a group thing as i dont have all that much time due to other projects.

Also dont worry about sounding rude, thats the great thing about this forum, your allowed to express yourself and opinions .
Kyosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2011, 07:15 PM   #24
Stigg
High-roller

Great tutorial Kyosaur, very informative, will come in very handy. Thanks.

Peace...

Stigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2011, 07:40 PM   #25
Kyosaur
High-roller

Update: I added a few things to the guide.
  • ProcessTick example. I wasnt sure where to fit it in so i just added it to the completed plugin source file in the "Closing" section.
  • An Include file for the plugin. I somehow forgot this when writing the guide. I added the file to the closing section as well. Not sure if i should add a section on includes themselves.
  • A callback hook example.
Old 09/11/2011, 07:48 PM   #26
MicroD
Gangsta

Nice tutorial this helped me a lot. What you think about Client-Side plugin? Please make tutorial for that
MicroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/11/2011, 08:01 PM   #27
Kyosaur
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroD View Post
Nice tutorial this helped me a lot. What you think about Client-Side plugin? Please make tutorial for that
You want me to add a section explaining the WIN32 API and networking? There are TONS of places that already has this information, and explain it really well (better than i ever could). If there was a client sided plugin architecture like Y_Less has suggested, i'd gladly add information about it to this article, as that's something relating to plugins rather then standard C/++.
Old 11/11/2011, 02:51 PM   #28
GangsTa_
High-roller

Can you give us a program to "decompile" .dll files?
128GB SSD, 1TB 5400RPM HDD
Windows 10 Pro x64
GangsTa_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2011, 03:04 PM   #29
Gamer_Z
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangsTa_ View Post
You won't be able to decompile working source files, dll files can be ANY language, c++ , D C# VB, pascal, etc...
Gamer_Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2011, 03:05 PM   #30
Kyosaur
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangsTa_ View Post
No, and im not even sure it is possible to even do so. Even if it was possible to decompile a DLL file, you'd be FAR better looking at a legitimate source file, which every plugin is required to come with.