Ernis456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Dan..
Gangsta

Default Re: MySQL Plugin v0.1 BETA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernis456 View Post
Any speed tests vs BlueG R7 plugin ?
I've posted the results. It seems this plugin is faster.
Dan.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Edvin
Gangsta

You make a mistake Dan.. (sorry for saying this) . Why you started a new MySQL Plugin, since we/you had a good MySQL plugin, and also you could edit it in what ever way did you wanted. I don't protest agaist your plugin, and also i don't say that isn't good, but if you continue to work at BlueG's it will be more good, because you win time, and like Y_Less said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less View Post
If you thought the existing code was ugly, why not just clean it up a bit? ...
Respect for the job also.
Edvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Maxips2
Huge Clucker

I actually don't see the point of making the functions similar to SQLite functions...

I think you should keep the beta 1 syntax, or a more common one anyway.
Maxips2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Dan..
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvin View Post
You make a mistake Dan.. (sorry for saying this) . Why you started a new MySQL Plugin, since we/you had a good MySQL plugin, and also you could edit it in what ever way did you wanted.
I've already wrote the plugin. Now, all I have to is to mantain it and, in my opinion, this code is easier to read and it's more maintainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxips2 View Post
I actually don't see the point of making the functions similar to SQLite functions...

I think you should keep the beta 1 syntax, or a more common one anyway.
I want to make it look like SQLite so code written for SQLite will be easier to be ported (e.g. Slice's BUD).

There isn't a very big difference. I've removed the "row" parameter (added a new function to replace it's functionability) and renamed a few others.
Dan.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 05:52 PM   #26
Maxips2
Huge Clucker

Why would you want to port SQLite to MySQL?

Anyway, perhaps make macros for that?
Old 10/04/2013, 06:43 PM   #27
Jay_
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxips2 View Post
Why would you want to port SQLite to MySQL?

It depends on the circumstances - I can think of a few scenarios in the past where I have wanted to port my SQLite database to MySQL purely for communication purposes. SQLite is a local embedded database engine, and as the name suggests it's only "lite" - that means complex tables packing loads and loads of data consisting of many advanced queries don't really meet the database engines goal as it's not designed for large scale production environments. Although technically it can be embedded too, MySQL generally is standalone. This makes communication with a MySQL database from an external source much easier. It also has performance tuning features and can normally handle large amounts of data much better.
Jay_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 07:16 PM   #28
Kar
High-roller

So you made all yours functions without the row functionality and used strings (columns / field names) only and its faster? I thought using row indexes would've been faster.. Idk just asking
Kar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2013, 07:25 PM   #29
TheArcher
High-roller

@Y_Less Even he is still developing a new MySQL plugin, why you guys are going against him? Users can still using BlueG's plugin as well as StrickenKid's one. You are not going to waste your time on testing but just him. So LOL.

P.S Dan is right somehow, for example BlueG's plugin is bugged and crashes for no reason sometimes..
Old 10/04/2013, 07:28 PM   #30
Maxips2
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_ View Post
It depends on the circumstances - I can think of a few scenarios in the past where I have wanted to port my SQLite database to MySQL purely for communication purposes. SQLite is a local embedded database engine, and as the name suggests it's only "lite" - that means complex tables packing loads and loads of data consisting of many advanced queries don't really meet the database engines goal as it's not designed for large scale production environments. Although technically it can be embedded too, MySQL generally is standalone. This makes communication with a MySQL database from an external source much easier. It also has performance tuning features and can normally handle large amounts of data much better.
There is a point in what you are saying.
But I think that if you already chose to use a database then you would probably know which one suits for your needs.

If you are planning on using more complex queries and you need better performance or communicate your database from another source, then you should probably aim for MySQL at first place and not SQLite.

Besides that, I still think that porting from SQLite to MySQL, even with this plugin isn't going to be that easy, and will actually make it slightly harder for users who are used to the common syntax of MySQL functions (StrickenKid's and BlueG's MySQL plugin).

That is just my opinion of course.