SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Plugin Development

Old 12/02/2017, 11:26 AM   #11
ExTaZZ69
Big Clucker

Default Re: Redis (cache, database and message queue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isti37 View Post
I have a friend working on a server and he aims for 1000 players and today I came back on this forum and got a nice suprise.

If we can make this client work with under 3ms 100% latency as in the benchmarks https://redis.io/topics/benchmarks one could theoretically split up a gamemode into multiple servers and sync the callbacks/data through redis to create a multithreaded and highly available system. Basically, you could round robin 4 servers on 4 different ips on different servers and sync all data through redis. If a server crashes the client just reconnects to another server in round robin because there is no state stored in the server.

Even if a single server is capable of only 1000 players, you could just sync in players from other servers with redis and do everything from chat to quests with redis messaging.
How can you stream the players from a server to another one? I know you can sync a lot of stuff, but the visual gameplay, (like players/cars) can't be synced, right?
ExTaZZ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 05:11 PM   #12
[HLF]Southclaw
High-roller

Quote:
I have a friend working on a server and he aims for 1000 players and today I came back on this forum and got a nice suprise.

If we can make this client work with under 3ms 100% latency as in the benchmarks https://redis.io/topics/benchmarks one could theoretically split up a gamemode into multiple servers and sync the callbacks/data through redis to create a multithreaded and highly available system. Basically, you could round robin 4 servers on 4 different ips on different servers and sync all data through redis. If a server crashes the client just reconnects to another server in round robin because there is no state stored in the server.

Even if a single server is capable of only 1000 players, you could just sync in players from other servers with redis and do everything from chat to quests with redis messaging. Splitting the map to different servers to offload processing and maintaining one master to sync only the data from slaves would also be nice.
That's partly a motivation for this plugin and also something I'll cover in that upcoming post I mentioned to Pottus about cluster servers. It's certainly possible and very attainable with this plugin. The next few commits will likely be speed tests in the test script because I haven't actually checked. Redis (and Hiredis) are well known for speed due to them being written (well) in C. I can imagine the largest bottleneck being Pawn but even that's not as slow as most people seem to think. Being asynchronous, there's not much to worry about really!

I'm aiming to get my Scavenge and Survive project completely IO free with this plugin and let another app handle all the state tracking. I actually thought of opening up a database access API so multiple SS servers can share the same player data much like the original DayZ mod did. I doubt many people would be interested in that little experiment though.

Contact me:
My discord: dc.southcla.ws

Scavenge and Survive 2017 is coming soonish...
[HLF]Southclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/02/2017, 01:38 PM   #13
Crystallize
High-roller

Quote:

Even if a single server is capable of only 1000 players, you could just sync in players from other servers with redis and do everything from chat to quests with redis messaging. Splitting the map to different servers to offload processing and maintaining one master to sync only the data from slaves would also be nice.
Im pretty sure you cannot sync players from one server to another one.
Crystallize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/02/2017, 05:50 PM   #14
[HLF]Southclaw
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallize View Post
Im pretty sure you cannot sync players from one server to another one.
> "If a server crashes the client just reconnects to another server"

He's not talking about synchronising UDP data, he's talking about an MMO-style cluster architecture where multiple backends serve a single public IP and they all share the same data and events. It's entirely possible, each server would effectively be analogous to a virtual world on a regular server and to switch a player's "world" you simply disconnect them at the proxy level and redirect their traffic to another backend. The player would just see a "lost connection to server, reconnecting..." for a few seconds and they'd be on a different server.

On the player's perspective, they only connect to a single IP address but the backend can be composed of many distributed systems. When you load up google.com, the same thing happens effectively (massive simplification) - you see a single entry point but the backend that process your request will vary (because obviously a single server can't handle all the Google requests!)

The article I'm writing is actually using Kubernetes for this task (similar to League of Legends and their Admiral orchestration backend) where a front facing load-balancer acts as the proxy and each server node lives inside a container inside the cluster. When you want to direct a player to a new world you simply tell the load-balancer to switch their connection to a new node.

Contact me:
My discord: dc.southcla.ws

Scavenge and Survive 2017 is coming soonish...
[HLF]Southclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/02/2017, 06:50 PM   #15
Slawiii
Huge Clucker

Awesome Man ! very useful

[FilterScript] SVIP System (0.01%)
Slawiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/02/2017, 11:12 PM   #16
Pottus
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw View Post

He's not talking about synchronising UDP data, he's talking about an MMO-style cluster architecture where multiple backends serve a single public IP and they all share the same data and events. It's entirely possible, each server would effectively be analogous to a virtual world on a regular server and to switch a player's "world" you simply disconnect them at the proxy level and redirect their traffic to another backend. The player would just see a "lost connection to server, reconnecting..." for a few seconds and they'd be on a different server.

On the player's perspective, they only connect to a single IP address but the backend can be composed of many distributed systems. When you load up google.com, the same thing happens effectively (massive simplification) - you see a single entry point but the backend that process your request will vary (because obviously a single server can't handle all the Google requests!)

The article I'm writing is actually using Kubernetes for this task (similar to League of Legends and their Admiral orchestration backend) where a front facing load-balancer acts as the proxy and each server node lives inside a container inside the cluster. When you want to direct a player to a new world you simply tell the load-balancer to switch their connection to a new node.
There is a few issues essentially it is no different then a gmx and we know that doing gmx does cause client bugs but it can work.
Pottus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/02/2017, 11:22 PM   #17
X337
Banned

Good work, i'm thinking of making a real-time UCP using this plugin. Thank you.
X337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/02/2017, 07:39 AM   #18
PistolWhip
Little Clucker

Thumbs up Re: Redis (cache, database and message queue)

If this is working just fine, you will have a special place in my heart
PistolWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/02/2017, 09:17 AM   #19
klap
Big Clucker

Oh, a cache plugin... nice
klap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/02/2017, 07:31 PM   #20
Hiddos
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw View Post

I'd love to read up more on this or even see a proof of concept, any tips?
Hiddos is offline   Reply With Quote