SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help > Tutorials

Old 16/01/2012, 11:49 PM   #71
SchurmanCQC
High-roller

Default Re: Scripter's Guide [NEW]

I wasn't trying to sound mean, but I just wanted to point that out.
Old 16/01/2012, 11:51 PM   #72
2KY
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurman View Post
I wasn't trying to sound mean, but I just wanted to point that out.
No, no. I appreciate it. Don't want to make a bad impression.
2KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/01/2012, 12:48 AM   #73
Deskoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KY View Post
I'm sorry, but..

I agree that SA:MP has more roleplay servers than MTA, but it definitely does not have better scripts.

/* Edited the rest of my post to avoid issues with management. */

Just felt the need to put my two cents in, as the "better scripts" statement kind of buggered me off.

Although, this is a very good tutorial, and I can see you have put some time and thought of how to go about it, which I appreciate, because it helps the budding generation of scripters learn faster, which means we can retire quicker! ()
I actually agree with that, probably I've changed my point of view over the last months. After getting into MTA scripting I must totally agree that MTA has out of the box development ideas, you can create anything you want, including appealing GUI s, custom objects and vehicles and several other complex systems that SA-MP won't have in quite a while (correct me if I'm wrong).

MTA has a stable development team, with (if I'm correct, I may be wrong, as I haven't logged into MTA in a while) more developers while SA-MP has only one, what probably makes SA-MP better right now is the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurman View Post
Saying anything like this about other mods is very dangerous, because little things like these make the Beta Testers/Kalcor dislike you, and will probably end with your post being deleted or even your account being banned.

All I'm trying to say is that posting and saying that another mod is better than SA-MP in any way is quite dangerous, watch what you say.
I don't think developers will take it wrong, it's constructive criticism, perhaps probably the SA-MP team already knows that. If we're here it means we like SA-MP, and probably most of us prefer SA-MP, like me.

Thank you two, I'll probably add it to the next version I'm developing.
Old 17/01/2012, 12:51 AM   #74
2KY
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskoft View Post
I actually agree with that, probably I've changed my point of view over the last months. After getting into MTA scripting I must totally agree that MTA has out of the box development ideas, you can create anything you want, including appealing GUI s, custom objects and vehicles and several other complex systems that SA-MP won't have in quite a while (correct me if I'm wrong).

MTA has a stable development team, with (if I'm correct, I may be wrong, as I haven't logged into MTA in a while) more developers while SA-MP has only one, what probably makes SA-MP better right now is the community.

I don't think developers will take it wrong, it's constructive criticism, perhaps probably the SA-MP team already knows that. If we're here it means we like SA-MP, and probably most of us prefer SA-MP, like me.

Thank you two, I'll probably add it to the next version I'm developing.
Maybe I'll regret this, maybe I won't, but my original post was;

Quote:
I agree that SA:MP has more roleplay servers than MTA, but it definitely does not have better scripts. There are so many more functions that do so many different things on MTA, where they actually have the original source code of GTA:SA, unlike SA:MP where Kye (Kalcor) has to go off and develop his very own modification on his "own" source, which limits the scripting community. Meanwhile LUA seems to be a far more flexible language than PAWN, although I could be wrong on this statement, so by all means, feel free to prove me wrong.
However, yes, MTA has a more stable development than SA:MP. However, I think Kalcor is doing a great job for a one man team. There's only so much time someone can invest in a simply pleasure project.
Old 17/01/2012, 12:56 AM   #75
Deskoft

Quote:
Maybe I'll regret this, maybe I won't, but my original post was;

Code:
I agree that SA:MP has more roleplay servers than MTA, but it definitely does not have better scripts. There are so many more functions that do so many different things on MTA, where they actually have the original source code of GTA:SA, unlike SA:MP where Kye (Kalcor) has to go off and develop his very own modification on his "own" source, which limits the scripting community. Meanwhile LUA seem
seems to be a far more flexible language than PAWN, although I could be wrong on this statement, so by all means, feel free to prove me wrong.
However, yes, MTA has a more stable development than SA:MP. However, I think Kalcor is doing a great job for a one man team. There's only so much time someone can invest in a simply pleasure project.
However I also agree that Kalcor should recruit some developers, I'm not an old member, but I believe that they used to have developers and I believe the source code was released too, and probably that's the reason why Kalcor develops alone.
Old 17/01/2012, 01:04 AM   #76
2KY
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskoft View Post
However I also agree that Kalcor should recruit some developers, I'm not an old member, but I believe that they used to have developers and I believe the source code was released too, and probably that's the reason why Kalcor develops alone.
I've been around since circa 2005 (Obviously I haven't been registered on these forums for that long) and if I remember correctly, the development had around five different members, but after someone leaked the source code, Kalcor decided to 'fire' the remaining developers to keep his project going without mini projects sprouting up. If I'm not delusional, their names are still in the credits part of the SA:MP client.

I'm not saying this was a stupid move, but I don't understand why trusted forum members (Y_Less, and some of the reliable plugin developers would be great choices in my opinion - however, my opinion doesn't matter in this situation) shouldn't have the chance to assist Kalcor in specific things Kalcor needs developed. (Fixing bugs, et cetera)

I mean, there's many different ways he could go about it; Giving the new developer a "piece" of the code that is bugged, and ask them to fix it in a timely manner, or giving them the entire source so they can compile and check for errors in their programming.
Old 17/01/2012, 01:06 AM   #77
Deskoft

Quote:
I've been around since circa 2005 (Obviously I haven't been registered on these forums for that long) and if I remember correctly, the development had around five different members, but after someone leaked the source code, Kalcor decided to 'fire' the remaining developers to keep his project going without mini projects sprouting up. If I'm not delusional, their names are still in the credits part of the SA:MP client.

I'm not saying this was a stupid move, but I don't understand why trusted forum members (Y_Less, and some of the reliable plugin developers would be great choices in my opinion - however, my opinion doesn't matter in this situation) shouldn't have the chance to assist Kalcor in specific things Kalcor needs developed. (Fixing bugs, et cetera)

I mean, there's many different ways he could go about it; Giving the new developer a "piece" of the code that is bugged, and ask them to fix it in a timely manner, or giving them the entire source so they can compile and check for errors in their programming.
Completely agreed.
Old 20/05/2018, 07:24 AM   #78
NotSteven
Little Clucker

This is just too important to me, +rep.

Free VIP level 1 and all licenses are free.
Ask a high level admin to claim your rewards!
Get the exact same experience on a Freeroam/Roleplay server!
NotSteven is offline   Reply With Quote