Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Stop spamming here, kids.

^ OLDEST and MOST Stable Linux distro! ^
Yousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20/03/2017, 03:57 PM   #872
Epixha
Huge Clucker

Oh boy, it's been so long. Just logged in after almost an year and I can't believe I remembered my password. I remember when I used to play SA:MP 24/7, I've played this game longer than any game ever and honestly I want to thank you for coming up with this brilliant mod, Kalcor.
Old 20/03/2017, 09:27 PM   #873
TakeiT
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable™ View Post
I laugh how you can't wait for an update of a free modification, it's a great chance to have SA-MP free for use until now with that much effort put in it. If you count how many features implemented within the updates you'd never want a newer update, we all do need minor bug fixes not anything else.

If the team would like to create another update they'll do, all we have to do is to wait for it, we won't enforce them to do it and we can't.
Well, the thing is that they mentioned a big update a few years ago (0.4). Then they released 0.3z, which was expected to be the last update before 0.4. They then released 0.3.7 because 0.4 wasn't quite done yet (check back in the threads to confirm). Nonetheless, they've pushed out at least one update per year. 0.3.7 was announced sometime in 2015, and it is now close to two years later without even a sign, notice, answer or anything. I don't think people really care all that much about the update, however when more than half the community asks about it, every thread I've seen about it (probably close to one per day) gets removed with no answer. Even a simple thread saying there won't be an update for a while, its unknown would suffice.
TakeiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/03/2017, 01:04 AM   #874
CoaPsyFactor
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeiT View Post
Well, the thing is that they mentioned a big update a few years ago (0.4). Then they released 0.3z, which was expected to be the last update before 0.4. They then released 0.3.7 because 0.4 wasn't quite done yet (check back in the threads to confirm). Nonetheless, they've pushed out at least one update per year. 0.3.7 was announced sometime in 2015, and it is now close to two years later without even a sign, notice, answer or anything. I don't think people really care all that much about the update, however when more than half the community asks about it, every thread I've seen about it (probably close to one per day) gets removed with no answer. Even a simple thread saying there won't be an update for a while, its unknown would suffice.
Biggest issue is, that they are not open sourcing SA:MP.

from personal experience I know that programmer's ego is higher than Mount Everest, and that hardest thing is to just share your work - but then again, look at the linux kernel
C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\Viet-RP\gamemodes\3mien.pwn(112016) : fatal error 101: cannot write to file: "disk full"

Compilation aborted.Pawn compiler 3.2.3664	 	 	Copyright (c) 1997-2006, ITB CompuPhase

1 Error.
Help me! How to fix error
CoaPsyFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/03/2017, 02:13 AM   #875
HeLiOn_PrImE
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoaPsyFactor View Post
Biggest issue is, that they are not open sourcing SA:MP.
That's the worst idea ever.
If they open source SA-MP, this community as you know it will cease to exist.
You'd have to download a mod for every goddamn server.

"It's only a game, but people are real. You have to respect them." - Mick88
"You don't deserve a +rep, if you ask for it. Those who deserve it, don't have to ask." - me

HeLiOn_PrImE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24/03/2017, 08:08 PM   #876
Nicow
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE View Post
That's the worst idea ever.
If they open source SA-MP, this community as you know it will cease to exist.
You'd have to download a mod for every goddamn server.

No, maybe in the beginning, but it will stabilize itself.

Nicow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/03/2017, 09:22 PM   #877
cuber
Big Clucker

This is the game, where i spent my entire childhood.. best community ever.
Old 25/03/2017, 03:04 AM   #878
HeLiOn_PrImE
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicow View Post
No, maybe in the beginning, but it will stabilize itself.
I guarantee that it won't. It would be just like trying to play on a private WoW or Lineage 2 server.
You'd have to install the right files to play the server.
1. Because they will prefer to personalize the mod for the needs of their own server.
2. Even if you find 2 similar servers, the installers won't be compatible, because each owner has his/her personal prefs.
3. Cheaters will be a really big issue, the bastards will find cracks in the code and they will exploit them. That means one more problem that will be dealt with in many different ways.

They should NOT open source SA-MP. The moment they do that, everything goes to shit.
The best course of action is Kalcor finding a good successor.

"It's only a game, but people are real. You have to respect them." - Mick88
"You don't deserve a +rep, if you ask for it. Those who deserve it, don't have to ask." - me

HeLiOn_PrImE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25/03/2017, 09:10 AM   #879
Nicow
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE View Post
I guarantee that it won't. It would be just like trying to play on a private WoW or Lineage 2 server.
You'd have to install the right files to play the server.
1. Because they will prefer to personalize the mod for the needs of their own server.
2. Even if you find 2 similar servers, the installers won't be compatible, because each owner has his/her personal prefs.
3. Cheaters will be a really big issue, the bastards will find cracks in the code and they will exploit them. That means one more problem that will be dealt with in many different ways.

They should NOT open source SA-MP. The moment they do that, everything goes to shit.
The best course of action is Kalcor finding a good successor.
I don't agree, to be able to modify SA-MP you need some skills, not every owner will have it's own custom SA-MP.

Cheaters will always be an issue, at least with an open source code, community will also be able to find and resolve flaws => collaboration.

The main other MP modification for GTASA is open source, i don't think it causes any problems.

Open sourcing SA-MP doesn't mean having tons of SA-MP projects, and even if it does, the least popular/active/maintaned projects will eventually die.

Nicow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/03/2017, 10:34 AM   #880
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicow View Post
I don't agree, to be able to modify SA-MP you need some skills, not every owner will have it's own custom SA-MP.

Cheaters will always be an issue, at least with an open source code, community will also be able to find and resolve flaws => collaboration.

The main other MP modification for GTASA is open source, i don't think it causes any problems.

Open sourcing SA-MP doesn't mean having tons of SA-MP projects, and even if it does, the least popular/active/maintaned projects will eventually die.

So basically.. release the code and those who are capable of updating, fixing or adding to it will be fine, but those who aren't will obviously have to deal with it and go down with the ship.. thats brilliant logic right there!

You're also comparing it to the other mod(I assume MTA) which has header rights, game debug info and the source to GTASA, SA:MP doesn't have any of this, it's just memory hacking/animation sync based.

I agree with HeLiOn_PrImE though, I hope he leaves it to his kids or something to be honest.