SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help > Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22/07/2017, 04:04 AM   #671
Kaperstone
High-roller
 
Kaperstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Home
Posts: 3,115
Reputation: 562
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger View Post
I know this isn't related to scripting per say but I'm not sure there's a thread about SA-MP tricks and tips, or whatever. I'll just post it here and hope it will help someone one day.

I was trying overclocking (obviously needed for other games than San Andreas) for the first time today and apparently that might have messed up some of my settings. I am always prompted with this box when I want to join a server, which I'm not sure why, this only happened after I installed Windows 10.



But instead I was given a lower resolution as default this time:


So I started testing things out, trying to set it back and rejoin a couple of times and so on but nothing worked. Eventually I tried to go my old resolution (bigger one) and set the resolution in-game to the smaller resolution, clicking enter to apply the changes and then change back to the resolution I want (the bigger one). That seemed to work and next time I tried to join a server it was back to the settings I preferred.

In-game fix: Press ESC -> Options -> Display Setup -> Advanced -> Change Resolution to lower -> Hit enter -> Change Resolution back to the one you wish to have (you don't have to exit the menu) -> Hit enter -> Restart San Andreas and it should pop up normally again.
Why, this is actually normal to receive.
I'm also getting this little window (for some games), it just to sets your res. and what gpu to utilize to process.

Considering I have two monitors running on two different gpu's, this is quite useful.
On Linux I had to wait for the loading screen to finish and then drag the window from one screen to another, which wasn't that fun - considering it happened to me all the time.

P.S. Why are you overclocking?
I suppose every process can run a game smoothly if you have a decent gpu and some kind of process that isn't Pentium III
__________________
Kaperstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/07/2017, 06:46 AM   #672
Hansrutger
Gangsta
 
Hansrutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 901
Reputation: 135
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Mainly I wanted to learn the process of doing overclocking. I didn't get a too much better performance but just a bit maybe because I didn't dare touching voltage. :P

About the displays now that you say it, it makes sense I suppose because I have 2 displays. However it shows that I have two gpus for some reason which I don't. Or maybe it's just two "profiles" that I can change around from.
__________________



Current progression on roleplay gamemode:
Week 1 ( 22/04-30/04 ): 10524 loc
...
Week 15 ( 30/07-06/08 ): 72535 loc
Hansrutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/07/2017, 08:15 PM   #673
H4RR1s
Big Clucker
 
H4RR1s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Los Santos, The Federal Bureau of Investigation HQ
Posts: 91
Reputation: 41
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Today i learned Nothing
__________________
Code:
public OnPlayerConnect(playerid)
{
          Sendclientmessage(Playerid, -1, "TREPASSER ALERT, YOU WILL BE TERMINATED");
           Ban(Playerid);
           Return 1;
}

Always +Rep'ing back who ever +Reps me
H4RR1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/07/2017, 09:09 PM   #674
Jeroen52
Gangsta
 
Jeroen52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 773
Reputation: 51
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4RR1s View Post
Today i learned Nothing
Then don't post in the thread.
__________________
Jeroen52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/07/2017, 10:20 PM   #675
Vince
Spam Machine
 
Vince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 10,902
Reputation: 2581
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger View Post
Mainly I wanted to learn the process of doing overclocking. I didn't get a too much better performance but just a bit maybe because I didn't dare touching voltage. :P
Just ****** what the maximum safe voltage for everyday use is for that CPU and keep below that. I've been running my i5-6600K at 4.6 Ghz (up from 3.5 Ghz) at 1.325V for many months now without any issues whatsoever, absolutely stable. The maximum safe voltage for this particular CPU is 1.4V I believe.

For GPUs it's another matter because the official firmware won't let the GPU go beyond its designed limits. You should be able to crank the power limit up to its maximum in AfterBurner without any adverse effects.
__________________
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/07/2017, 10:45 PM   #676
Kaperstone
High-roller
 
Kaperstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Home
Posts: 3,115
Reputation: 562
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Just ****** what the maximum safe voltage for everyday use is for that CPU and keep below that. I've been running my i5-6600K at 4.6 Ghz (up from 3.5 Ghz) at 1.325V for many months now without any issues whatsoever, absolutely stable. The maximum safe voltage for this particular CPU is 1.4V I believe.
I wouldn't recommend it for cpu's that aren't unlocked.
I have i7 4770 (not the K version) and whenever I overclock it, at some point during the day Win' freezed.
Then it had some strange "fading away" effect that Win' kept freezing the next days or two (after I stopped overclocking) and then it turned back normal.
__________________
Kaperstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/07/2017, 11:31 PM   #677
Hansrutger
Gangsta
 
Hansrutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 901
Reputation: 135
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

A friend of mine who helped me with overclocking asked me whether my CPU had that K-label or not and just told me to not do anything about the CPU since it didn't have one. I can't touch anything to do with the CPU in MSI Afterburner anyways but I'm sure there's workarounds like Kaperstone mentioned with his case.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
__________________



Current progression on roleplay gamemode:
Week 1 ( 22/04-30/04 ): 10524 loc
...
Week 15 ( 30/07-06/08 ): 72535 loc
Hansrutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23/07/2017, 08:39 AM   #678
Dignity
High-roller
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,816
Reputation: 964
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansrutger View Post
A friend of mine who helped me with overclocking asked me whether my CPU had that K-label or not and just told me to not do anything about the CPU since it didn't have one. I can't touch anything to do with the CPU in MSI Afterburner anyways but I'm sure there's workarounds like Kaperstone mentioned with his case.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're right - just because your CPU doesn't have a "k" in it's name doesn't mean it's not overclockable.

The "k" chips are made with overclocking in mind, whereas the non-k chips aren't (theyre meant to run at factory freqs). There are a lot of steps you can perform for safely overclocking a non-k chip, as long as you don't exceed max voltage your only worry should be heat. Doing a delid and or investing in a AIO cooler will do wonders. Reading up past user experiences helps a whole lot too - chances are someone probably tried overclocking it before, like Vince stated.

You should also only OC in the motherboard, not using a software. The motherboard is a safer environment than a third party program, you will probably see your clocks behave very differently if you boot into it through the motherboard instead of applying it through the program.

Also that monitor resolution issue happens frequently for people with dual monitor setups. I'm not too sure why myself but I imagine GeForce Experience frequently uploads/stores presets when updating drivers, even if you don't press optimize.
__________________



Click on the logo to join our Discord
Dignity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2017, 08:45 PM   #679
Vince
Spam Machine
 
Vince's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 10,902
Reputation: 2581
Default Re: Today I learned - Share your newly found knowledge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misiur View Post
ISmokezU: You don't have to repeat your arguments, just use VALUES(column). So, it would be:
Code:
mysql_format(MYSQL, query, sizeof(query)
        ,"INSERT INTO jail (ID, Name, Time, Bail, Cell, Reason) VALUES (%d, '%e', %d, %d, %d, '%s') ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE Time = VALUES(Time), Bail = VALUES(Bail), Cell = VALUES(Cell), Reason = VALUES(Reason)"
        , Player[playerid][ID], GetName(playerid), time, bail, GetPlayerVirtualWorld(playerid), reason);
    mysql_tquery(MYSQL, query, "", "");
TIL.
__________________
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things you learned from GTA SA Toni Everything and Nothing 212 20/08/2011 07:07 AM
How you learned to script Bam23 Help Archive 9 11/04/2011 10:21 AM
What did u learned today ? rafay Everything and Nothing 170 30/03/2010 04:06 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.