SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > News and Updates

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25/03/2017, 10:34 AM   #881
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker
 
Killa[DGZ]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 342
Reputation: 62
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicow View Post
I don't agree, to be able to modify SA-MP you need some skills, not every owner will have it's own custom SA-MP.

Cheaters will always be an issue, at least with an open source code, community will also be able to find and resolve flaws => collaboration.

The main other MP modification for GTASA is open source, i don't think it causes any problems.

Open sourcing SA-MP doesn't mean having tons of SA-MP projects, and even if it does, the least popular/active/maintaned projects will eventually die.

So basically.. release the code and those who are capable of updating, fixing or adding to it will be fine, but those who aren't will obviously have to deal with it and go down with the ship.. thats brilliant logic right there!

You're also comparing it to the other mod(I assume MTA) which has header rights, game debug info and the source to GTASA, SA:MP doesn't have any of this, it's just memory hacking/animation sync based.

I agree with HeLiOn_PrImE though, I hope he leaves it to his kids or something to be honest.
__________________
Killa[DGZ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/03/2017, 10:48 AM   #882
Nicow
High-roller
 
Nicow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: France
Posts: 1,070
Reputation: 59
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa[DGZ] View Post
So basically.. release the code and those who are capable of updating, fixing or adding to it will be fine, but those who aren't will obviously have to deal with it and go down with the ship.. thats brilliant logic right there!
What is the problem ? I don't see your point
Those who are not capable can download the mod of the project they support and contribute by giving ideas, suggestions..
It's not because it is open sourced that everyone has to create it's own SA-MP to run its server..
__________________

Nicow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25/03/2017, 11:45 AM   #883
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker
 
Killa[DGZ]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 342
Reputation: 62
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicow View Post
What is the problem ? I don't see your point
Those who are not capable can download the mod of the project they support and contribute by giving ideas, suggestions..
It's not because it is open sourced that everyone has to create it's own SA-MP to run its server..
Thats not what I said, an I do realise the risks involved with releasing sources.. I was merely mentioning about those who aren't capable and won't be able to do anything but use someone elses version of the mod with their updates, fixes, addons.. an god knows what else they'll throw in there for ya, who's to say we can trust those people?, I know for a fact that those people wouldn't be releasing their sources any time soon on the slightest chance that another developer of the same mod could possibly use it to update their source.

Anyway it won't happen mate, he'll take it to his grave first, an I would too.
__________________
Killa[DGZ] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/03/2017, 01:12 PM   #884
Nicow
High-roller
 
Nicow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: France
Posts: 1,070
Reputation: 59
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa[DGZ] View Post
Thats not what I said, an I do realise the risks involved with releasing sources.. I was merely mentioning about those who aren't capable and won't be able to do anything but use someone elses version of the mod with their updates, fixes, addons.. an god knows what else they'll throw in there for ya, who's to say we can trust those people?, I know for a fact that those people wouldn't be releasing their sources any time soon on the slightest chance that another developer of the same mod could possibly use it to update their source.

Anyway it won't happen mate, he'll take it to his grave first, an I would too.
Oh okay, I understand now, but still disagree I'll use a simple example with what you said :

I'm using Zeex's pawn compiler with its updates and fixes and god knows what else he did throw in there
Who's to say I can trust him ? Nobody, I didn't check the code he released (and I would not be capable of) but I do trust him and he did great for the community
__________________

Nicow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26/03/2017, 01:43 AM   #885
HeLiOn_PrImE
High-roller
 
HeLiOn_PrImE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cluj Napoca, Romania
Posts: 2,492
Reputation: 304
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicow View Post
It's not because it is open sourced that everyone has to create it's own SA-MP to run its server..
On the contrary. People will race to have the better mod.
And trust me there are many capable people out there that can do a lot, both good and bad.

People attack eachother these days over leaked gamemode scripts.
It will be the same with the SA-MP mod, only on a much larger scale.
Since you have to install a client, you might get fucked real bad. It's like Killa[DGZ] said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa[DGZ] View Post
god knows what else they'll throw in there for ya...
__________________

"It's only a game, but people are real. You have to respect them." - Mick88
"You don't deserve a +rep, if you ask for it. Those who deserve it, don't have to ask." - me

HeLiOn_PrImE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26/03/2017, 12:47 PM   #886
Spmn
Huge Clucker
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Romania
Posts: 455
Reputation: 91
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE View Post
On the contrary. People will race to have the better mod.
It will be the same with the SA-MP mod, only on a much larger scale.
Popular servers won't risk to lose their playerbase by requiring players to install a custom client incompatible with other servers.
Small servers won't be able to get players for the same reason.

But having SA-MP source code available will help both popular and small server owners get the features they ask without the need of 3rd party mods (like SAMP+) because they won't have to wait 2-3 years for an update.
Spmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26/03/2017, 04:52 PM   #887
HeLiOn_PrImE
High-roller
 
HeLiOn_PrImE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cluj Napoca, Romania
Posts: 2,492
Reputation: 304
Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

That is if people behave as you expect them to.
I simply can't trust the world today....
__________________

"It's only a game, but people are real. You have to respect them." - Mick88
"You don't deserve a +rep, if you ask for it. Those who deserve it, don't have to ask." - me

HeLiOn_PrImE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many years are you around samp? DanTzi General 501 27/03/2017 10:44 PM
"8 Years in GTA" by ElektroNIK (GTA4, MTA, SAMP, VCMP, GTA3, GTA2) [KOM]ElektroNIK Screenshots and Videos 6 30/06/2014 05:30 PM
In how many years will SA-MP die? [RO]Madalin2009 Everything and Nothing 7 20/02/2009 06:22 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.