SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > News and Updates

Old 25/03/2017, 10:34 AM   #881
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker

Default Re: 10 Years of Samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicow View Post
I don't agree, to be able to modify SA-MP you need some skills, not every owner will have it's own custom SA-MP.

Cheaters will always be an issue, at least with an open source code, community will also be able to find and resolve flaws => collaboration.

The main other MP modification for GTASA is open source, i don't think it causes any problems.

Open sourcing SA-MP doesn't mean having tons of SA-MP projects, and even if it does, the least popular/active/maintaned projects will eventually die.

So basically.. release the code and those who are capable of updating, fixing or adding to it will be fine, but those who aren't will obviously have to deal with it and go down with the ship.. thats brilliant logic right there!

You're also comparing it to the other mod(I assume MTA) which has header rights, game debug info and the source to GTASA, SA:MP doesn't have any of this, it's just memory hacking/animation sync based.

I agree with HeLiOn_PrImE though, I hope he leaves it to his kids or something to be honest.
Old 25/03/2017, 10:48 AM   #882
Nicow
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa[DGZ] View Post
So basically.. release the code and those who are capable of updating, fixing or adding to it will be fine, but those who aren't will obviously have to deal with it and go down with the ship.. thats brilliant logic right there!
What is the problem ? I don't see your point
Those who are not capable can download the mod of the project they support and contribute by giving ideas, suggestions..
It's not because it is open sourced that everyone has to create it's own SA-MP to run its server..

Nicow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25/03/2017, 11:45 AM   #883
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker

Quote:
What is the problem ? I don't see your point
Those who are not capable can download the mod of the project they support and contribute by giving ideas, suggestions..
It's not because it is open sourced that everyone has to create it's own SA-MP to run its server..
Thats not what I said, an I do realise the risks involved with releasing sources.. I was merely mentioning about those who aren't capable and won't be able to do anything but use someone elses version of the mod with their updates, fixes, addons.. an god knows what else they'll throw in there for ya, who's to say we can trust those people?, I know for a fact that those people wouldn't be releasing their sources any time soon on the slightest chance that another developer of the same mod could possibly use it to update their source.

Anyway it won't happen mate, he'll take it to his grave first, an I would too.
Old 25/03/2017, 01:12 PM   #884
Nicow
High-roller

Quote:
Thats not what I said, an I do realise the risks involved with releasing sources.. I was merely mentioning about those who aren't capable and won't be able to do anything but use someone elses version of the mod with their updates, fixes, addons.. an god knows what else they'll throw in there for ya, who's to say we can trust those people?, I know for a fact that those people wouldn't be releasing their sources any time soon on the slightest chance that another developer of the same mod could possibly use it to update their source.

Anyway it won't happen mate, he'll take it to his grave first, an I would too.
Oh okay, I understand now, but still disagree I'll use a simple example with what you said :

I'm using Zeex's pawn compiler with its updates and fixes and god knows what else he did throw in there
Who's to say I can trust him ? Nobody, I didn't check the code he released (and I would not be capable of) but I do trust him and he did great for the community

Nicow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26/03/2017, 01:43 AM   #885
HeLiOn_PrImE
High-roller

Quote:
On the contrary. People will race to have the better mod.
And trust me there are many capable people out there that can do a lot, both good and bad.

People attack eachother these days over leaked gamemode scripts.
It will be the same with the SA-MP mod, only on a much larger scale.
Since you have to install a client, you might get fucked real bad. It's like Killa[DGZ] said.
Quote:
god knows what else they'll throw in there for ya...

"It's only a game, but people are real. You have to respect them." - Mick88
"You don't deserve a +rep, if you ask for it. Those who deserve it, don't have to ask." - me

HeLiOn_PrImE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26/03/2017, 12:47 PM   #886
Spmn
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE View Post
On the contrary. People will race to have the better mod.
It will be the same with the SA-MP mod, only on a much larger scale.
Popular servers won't risk to lose their playerbase by requiring players to install a custom client incompatible with other servers.
Small servers won't be able to get players for the same reason.

But having SA-MP source code available will help both popular and small server owners get the features they ask without the need of 3rd party mods (like SAMP+) because they won't have to wait 2-3 years for an update.
Spmn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26/03/2017, 04:52 PM   #887
HeLiOn_PrImE
High-roller

That is if people behave as you expect them to.
I simply can't trust the world today....

"It's only a game, but people are real. You have to respect them." - Mick88
"You don't deserve a +rep, if you ask for it. Those who deserve it, don't have to ask." - me

HeLiOn_PrImE is offline   Reply With Quote