SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > Bug Reports

Old 30/08/2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Ash.
High-roller

Default Multiple Network Connections

Good Morning.

Recently I've bought myself a new laptop dock, which connects all external peripherals to my laptop without plugging them all in individually. With this in mind, I've added an Ethernet cable connection to my router. Whenever my laptop is docked, it has two network connections - WiFi and Ethernet. Whenever I have two network connections (whether using my dock or not) I will get random timeouts through SA-MP, as if it's changing what connection it's using or something.

The only way to rectify this is to either disable my WiFi card or disconnect the Ethernet cable, which normally messes up radio streams and other things as they pick one connection and stick to it, if it's the one I'm disabling then it disconnects the stream (just an example).

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers
Ash

There are infinite possibilities

Think twice before you start programming or you will program twice before you start thinking.
Ash. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30/08/2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Xentiarox
Big Clucker

Default Re: Multiple Network Connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky1234 View Post
Good Morning.

Recently I've bought myself a new laptop dock, which connects all external peripherals to my laptop without plugging them all in individually. With this in mind, I've added an Ethernet cable connection to my router. Whenever my laptop is docked, it has two network connections - WiFi and Ethernet. Whenever I have two network connections (whether using my dock or not) I will get random timeouts through SA-MP, as if it's changing what connection it's using or something.

The only way to rectify this is to either disable my WiFi card or disconnect the Ethernet cable, which normally messes up radio streams and other things as they pick one connection and stick to it, if it's the one I'm disabling then it disconnects the stream (just an example).

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers
Ash
you are using your wifi, loosing signal, windows connects using the ethernet, sees your WiFi network is in range - reconnects again, change your adapter priority and make lan #1 and WiFi #2

Xentiarox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30/08/2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Ash.
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xentiarox View Post
you are using your wifi, loosing signal, windows connects using the ethernet, sees your WiFi network is in range - reconnects again, change your adapter priority and make lan #1 and WiFi #2
Firstly, if my WiFi lost signal from being about 3 feet away from the router, I'd be contacting the manufacturer, not SA-MP forums, secondly - my system supports simultaneous network connections (both LAN and WiFi operate at the same time), and thirdly - to prove a point, I've had many things running simultaneously through both connections at the
same time.

Proof of simultaneous and active connections:

(Ignore the duration of my LAN connection, I just docked to prove this haha)
(Take note of the duration of my Wireless Network Connection - proof that it doesn't disconnect)

Ash

Think twice before you start programming or you will program twice before you start thinking.
Old 30/08/2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Xentiarox
Big Clucker

you could try the commando
Code:
ping <ip of router> -t
and when you notice it timeouts while your sa-mp timeouts too, then it's a issue with your configuration, else it's sa-mp.

Old 30/08/2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Ash.
High-roller

Quote:
you could try the commando
Code:
ping <ip of router> -t
and when you notice it timeouts while your sa-mp timeouts too, then it's a issue with your configuration, else it's sa-mp.
It works with everything else though. For example, I'll be listening to an internet radio (www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra) - which is a stream, so a network connection will be constantly being used. If it's chosen LAN as it's connection, if I unplug it - the stream stops, which is natural and perfectly fine. I have never had ANY problems with doing that, and I do it regularly for long periods of time.

Ash

Old 30/08/2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Xentiarox
Big Clucker

Quote:
It works with everything else though. For example, I'll be listening to an internet radio (www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra) - which is a stream, so a network connection will be constantly being used. If it's chosen LAN as it's connection, if I unplug it - the stream stops, which is natural and perfectly fine. I have never had ANY problems with doing that, and I do it regularly for long periods of time.

Ash
I have nothing against your configuration, just want to make sure if it's sa-mp

just do
run
cmd
ping 192.168.1.1 -t | replace the numbers with your routers IP addr
go play sa-mp, wait until it timeouts, go t othe console, if you do not see ANY 'timeouts' then it is sa-mp - for sure, or well, the RakNet client sa-mp uses... to be more specific.

Old 30/08/2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Ash.
High-roller

Here you go: I even loaded BBC Radio 1xtra (CONSTANT RADIO STREAM) up to prove a point:

I have an extended desktop, hence why SA is next to the command line console and 1xtra window.

Old 30/08/2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Xentiarox
Big Clucker

Yep then it's a sa-mp/Raknet bug.

Old 30/08/2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Ash.
High-roller

Quote:
Yep then it's a sa-mp/Raknet bug.
I already knew it was SA-MP/RakNet, my point is what can be done about it?! It's extremely irritating!

Old 30/08/2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Xentiarox
Big Clucker

Quote:
I already knew it was SA-MP/RakNet, my point is what can be done about it?! It's extremely irritating!
Well a possible fix would be to run SA-MP in vmWare and use NAT/physical connection to maintain connection to the internet, SA-MP runs fine in a Windows XP in VMware Workstation for me (but I don't think this is a solution for you, anyway this isn't a solution at all, just a kinda 'bypass/cheat').

for another workaroun: you can use Windows Task Scheduler, make a task which is activated when the LAN connection has internet, set the task to run this command with highest available privilidges:
Code:
netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" DISABLED
and make a task for when LAN loses internet connection and run this command as action:
Code:
netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" ENABLED
This will disable your wireless when you dock in, and when you dock out it will be enabled again. Souds like a cheap solution but it's at least automated!

Basic task scheduling: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...chedule-a-task

you will need to create an advanced task, google is your friend :X I know much but I don't know everything. Which event is Lan connection activated. well I don't know.