SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help > Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06/12/2017, 01:10 PM   #11
AndreiWow
High-roller
 
AndreiWow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Romania, Bucharest
Posts: 1,060
Reputation: 48
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone View Post
Actually, if you're a hard working, then you might do.
I am not good at pointing things out, but, for example, no matter what you do, there will be times when you will fail, if you are in a team, there will be people to help you back up, but if you are alone, there won't be anyone to help you.

And also a quote from Helen "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much"
AndreiWow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 06:09 PM   #12
Kaperstone
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,337
Reputation: 824
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiWow View Post
I am not good at pointing things out, but, for example, no matter what you do, there will be times when you will fail, if you are in a team, there will be people to help you back up, but if you are alone, there won't be anyone to help you.

And also a quote from Helen "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much"
I very agree with it, but it may seem obvious, but we have stackoverflow

We can do little alone, but eventually you can succeed alone, samp is pretty much a result of a single developer.
Facebo0k as well started by a single developer.
Kaperstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Y_Less
Beta Tester
 
Y_Less's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 629 - git.io/Y
Posts: 15,320
Reputation: 3191
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone View Post
I very agree with it, but it may seem obvious, but we have stackoverflow

We can do little alone, but eventually you can succeed alone, samp is pretty much a result of a single developer.
Facebo0k as well started by a single developer.
"started by", not "made by".

If you try do everything yourself, then after a year of development you will still be worrying about how to parse files and stream objects, not doing anything useful at all.
Y_Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 07:21 PM   #14
Kaperstone
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,337
Reputation: 824
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less View Post
"started by", not "made by".
I guess you meant the opposite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less View Post
If you try do everything yourself, then after a year of development you will still be worrying about how to parse files and stream objects, not doing anything useful at all.
Worrying is a way to improve something, imo.
Its better than not to care.

I'd say its a two side story, there are people who worry and stuck at the same thing to perfectionize it, and some would come up with something simple and move on, maybe return to the same spot if he comes up with something better.


Personally, I do try to do everything by myself, I do believe team work yields the best results, but dislike working in a team with other people.
Kaperstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 07:32 PM   #15
admantis
High-roller
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,571
Reputation: 446
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Use a repository system like git or Subversion (I prefer Subversion as it's more conventional, much easier to use, and flexible).
admantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 07:43 PM   #16
Y_Less
Beta Tester
 
Y_Less's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 629 - git.io/Y
Posts: 15,320
Reputation: 3191
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone View Post
I guess you meant the opposite.
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone View Post
Worrying is a way to improve something, imo.
Its better than not to care.

I'd say its a two side story, there are people who worry and stuck at the same thing to perfectionize it, and some would come up with something simple and move on, maybe return to the same spot if he comes up with something better.


Personally, I do try to do everything by myself, I do believe team work yields the best results, but dislike working in a team with other people.
My point was, if you do everything yourself you will spend all your time re-inventing the wheel and never get anything actually useful done in terms of gameplay and business logic.
Y_Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2017, 07:57 PM   #17
Kaperstone
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,337
Reputation: 824
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone View Post
I guess you meant the opposite.
No
Oh, I thought you meant to fix me.

Anyway, my point was about achieving as a single developer, but I understand what you mean.
Kaperstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2017, 12:06 PM   #18
NealPeteros
Gangsta
 
NealPeteros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: GetPlayerCountry(playerid);
Posts: 638
Reputation: 51
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Is there like a live version of multi-user scripting? Like ****** Docs when being shared. If you haven't tried ****** docs, it's like live editing of a single file by multiple users granted access by the original creator of the file. If there was, that would be so awesome.
__________________
Quote:
SA-MP is like a drug or alcohol or smoking.. you really get used to it and can not leave it.
NealPeteros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/12/2017, 12:21 PM   #19
Infinity
High-roller
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,535
Reputation: 975
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealPeteros View Post
Is there like a live version of multi-user scripting? Like ****** Docs when being shared. If you haven't tried ****** docs, it's like live editing of a single file by multiple users granted access by the original creator of the file. If there was, that would be so awesome.
I would never recommend this for coding. Think about it. Say, you and I are working together working on a script. You want to test what you've just written (a good programmer tests often!), but wait, the code does not compile because I was in the middle of a line. Or, nothing works because you're including my code which wasn't done yet.

For coding, you really want solutions such as git. Once you know your feature is done and tested, you push it to the other developers.
__________________

I apologize for the stupidity of my fellow members

Quote:
Originally Posted by !damo!spiderman View Post
Stand for something that's going to help the world rather than fill it with more hate. Give someone a hug, tell someone you care... Do something, do anything but do it with love not hate.
Infinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 02:34 PM   #20
svorpyx
Big Clucker
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 81
Reputation: 0
Default Re: Scripting as a team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalMethod View Post
I'd say either GitHub or DropBox. Only worry is if two people start working on the script at the same time out of dropbox, and when they both save, one person's work is lost. If you guys make separate copies of the script to work on sections, then paste it all together at the end, perhaps that'd work? I'm not totally sure, but that's my best guest. I've only ever scripted solo, never on a team.
NEVER use regular filesharing for sharing code, it's just a death wish. Always use VCS like Git. Git really is today's standard with almost every new project that uses VCS choosing for git. You can get free public repo's on GitHub, or you can get free private repo's on BitBucket or GitLab. There are many git clients available to ease up the process.
svorpyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Tutorial] Getting Started on TDM Scripting for newbie (Setting up team, Setting up team color, Anti teamkill[EXPLAINED] qazwsx Tutorials 7 14/10/2013 08:13 AM
Looking for a scripting team RainMultiGaming Scripting Help 0 15/12/2011 05:14 PM
scripting team [asg]davo Help Archive 19 18/05/2010 08:51 AM
Need A Scripting Team Saurik Help Archive 0 17/05/2010 12:46 AM
Scripting Team armyoftwo Help Archive 1 15/12/2009 05:02 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.