SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Closed Thread

Old 30/10/2019, 09:34 AM   #291
Mugala
High-roller

Default Re: Is it still worth it?

0.3.DL is a great version, well it have a small bugs, but it's not noticeable, at least it's playable and it's very popular for role-play servers. I've created a lots of stuff for DL version as myself for my role-play server and everyone liked that, also there is a requests for new servers to be opened in 0.3.DL.
Abandoning that is not a good idea.

If you have a coding question or need an assistance in a code, just PM me.
If you want me to create something for you, here is a Discord Mugala#5651

Currently helping Community members in a coding.
Old 30/10/2019, 09:50 AM   #292
Burridge
High-roller

Forgive me if I am misremembering but I think I saw someone post somewhere recently that they wouldn’t want to see the DL branch go into the main development branch because some people wouldn’t want the downloads and would just leave the mod entirely. Wouldn’t a good way around this issue be to have a server variable such as “UseDownloads” or something like that. The client could then have a new search parameter for searching for servers that either only use the download feature, or do not.

Of course, the downside for that argument is that if the DL branch became part of the main branch then more servers would use the download feature. I think that overall it would still be worth doing, alongside the memory address changes for a 0.3.9 release that would probably be more than enough of an update for the holidays that you mentioned and would mean that servers on the DL and 0.3.7 branch would be on the same list which could be beneficial.

From what I’ve read of DL, and from the small time I used it, DL seems stable enough to be a main branch release. I admit I didn’t use it to its full potential but there are certainly servers out there that have put a lot of work into their server using the DL version and are shining examples of what make those changes good.

You also mentioned not getting a lot of feedback for the DL version. I feel as though you’d get a lot more feedback if it was part of the main branch. Maybe open dialogue between yourself and the bigger server owners.
Old 30/10/2019, 10:07 AM   #293
TommyB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
There's hardly any content available for DL. It was too late in the mod's lifecycle to try and develop a modeling pipeline.

You're better off abandoning DL and going back to 0.3.7. We'll have to figure something else out to get new content in, like going back to including it with the sa-mp installer.
Am I expected to just gut my server and scrap the hundreds of unique models created for it over the last two years? You created a version with amazing potential and are now proceeding to royally fuck everyone who put their faith into trying to make it work. My team has spent countless hours crafting incredible content for my server, so suggesting I, and other 0.3.DL owners, throw it all away is fairly saddening to see. My idea to improve file downloading is likely still floating around in the beta forum somewhere, which is a way better solution than simply abandoning server-controlled custom assets.
Old 30/10/2019, 10:31 AM   #294
Romzes24
Big Clucker

Quote:
There's hardly any content available for DL. It was too late in the mod's lifecycle to try and develop a modeling pipeline.

You're better off abandoning DL and going back to 0.3.7. We'll have to figure something else out to get new content in, like going back to including it with the sa-mp installer.
I specifically studied 3D modeling to make new content for my server, should I forget about all this and switch to something else? I already have some ready-made models that I will use after the update is released, why are you doing so bad with your community and don’t want to do an update that will include version 0.3DL in the main??

Here are some models that were made for my server:

(full images: https://imgur.com/a/cCgT6yo)
Old 30/10/2019, 10:47 AM   #295
Kyle
High-roller

Hi,

I believe the DL arm of SA-MP was too niche; it's quite specific and not many people know how to model.

This doesn't mean that we don't want updates, we are still here. Inevitability the player-base will drop due to people moving on with their lives however there is still a decent amount of people still here.

Custom modeling is good however I personally believe it should be integrated into the installer just like the 0.3c objects were.

Friendly reminder: there is a bunch of suggestions in the suggestion thread that the community would like.

Don't give up Kye.
Old 30/10/2019, 10:49 AM   #296
Kalcor
SA-MP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
Am I expected to just gut my server and scrap the hundreds of unique models created for it over the last two years? You created a version with amazing potential and are now proceeding to royally fuck everyone who put their faith into trying to make it work. My team has spent countless hours crafting incredible content for my server, so suggesting I, and other 0.3.DL owners, throw it all away is fairly saddening to see. My idea to improve file downloading is likely still floating around in the beta forum somewhere, which is a way better solution than simply abandoning server-controlled custom assets.
DL isn't going anywhere. You can stay on that version if you want.

Looking at the player numbers, it looks like adding custom content ultimately hurt rc-rp and ls-rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge View Post
Forgive me if I am misremembering but I think I saw someone post somewhere recently that they wouldn’t want to see the DL branch go into the main development branch because some people wouldn’t want the downloads and would just leave the mod entirely. Wouldn’t a good way around this issue be to have a server variable such as “UseDownloads” or something like that. The client could then have a new search parameter for searching for servers that either only use the download feature, or do not.
That feature is already there. But it's like the shooting code added to 0.3z. Most servers are going to enabled it. Then we only figure out years later it was actually harmful.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:05 AM   #297
BloodMaster
Banned

Maybe making the download size available in the client would make things better?
Maybe even limiting it to a fair amount would be beneficial.

Perhaps make servers that don't use DL features to appear first in the list, or sorted by download size by default?
Old 30/10/2019, 11:12 AM   #298
Kalcor
SA-MP Developer

I'm pushing ahead with 0.3.9 and it won't have any downloading feature enabled.

DL will still be available here on the forum. Maybe I'll get around to fixing the breakable fences bug in DL one day.

If you have some ideas for small improvements in 0.3.9, I'm listening.

For example, there are a few new skins floating around that could be added to the 0.3.9 installer.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:16 AM   #299
d3Pedro
Huge Clucker

Quote:

DL will still be available here on the forum. Maybe I'll get around to fixing the breakable fences bug in DL one day.

For example, there are a few new skins floating around that could be added to the 0.3.9 installer.
Add a way to enable/disable vehicle map icons (those little cubes)
Old 30/10/2019, 11:20 AM   #300
Ksenon
Little Clucker

Quote:

Some optimisations for objects processing.

Discord: Ksenon#6969
Closed Thread