Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Closed Thread

Old 30/10/2019, 11:27 PM   #481
WestCoast1337
Little Clucker

Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
The DL client was only recently removed from the download page. It was up for 6-8 months and servers showed no improvement.
As has been repeatedly reported - the server was waiting for you to fully release the version. What you removed from the download list only aggravated the online situation on this version, which is logical. Please note that now a lot has changed since when the players went to different servers and chose where to play. Now the player comes to play on a specific server consciously, learning about it from the commercial.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:28 PM   #482
TommyB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niCe View Post
I think LS-RP and RC-RP lost most of the players, because the 0.3.DL is not known, not because they have downloadable objects.
New players already wait numerous hours to play LSRP and RCRP due to the application-based registration systems we have. I doubt they care that they have to spend a minute downloading assets. The custom assets we have on RCRP have never been poorly received, so clearly the issue here isn't custom content. I've already provided statistics that show our amount of new registrations went down by a noticeable amount as soon as we moved to 0.3.DL in February 2018. We actually did gain players for a while after moving, and even peaked well during summer of 2018. However, the reduction in new players eventually balanced stuff out and has slowly caused average player peaks to trickle down.

Old 30/10/2019, 11:32 PM   #483
Romzes24
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
Sorry guys. My intuition is telling me to reverse course on the whole model downloading thing.

If it actually improved the player count on servers, I would have given it more of a chance. If the player count is going to decline anyway, it's best to leave the mod in a preserved state.
Kalcor, you want to leave the current atmosphere of SA-MP so that it is close to the native GTA SA? Make it possible to upload your own skins, objects and sprites, just limit the total size of all files to the server so that owners can not load more than 30MB. From this, everyone will only benefit. Players will not have to wait long for uploads to the server, and owners will be able to upload only the basic things that they need. Server owners will learn how to make high-quality and optimized models that will take up little space and will not outwardly differ in the original GTA_SA.

I think this is a very cool solution, please make SA-MP better.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:33 PM   #484
Cr0heart
Little Clucker

It's a step forward to improve the mod. It will become a game engine and that's what most people will be attracted to. Mafia style game, medieval style game, jungle with lions and tigers, it will become an unlimited development thing. You see, I don't know what are the legal issues with this thing, you are acting weird about this. But take your time and think about what will official custom options do to SAMP. It has negative sides as you said yourself because GTA is not GTA then but according to that all servers should be left in 2009.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:35 PM   #485
niCe
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
New players already wait numerous hours to play LSRP and RCRP due to the application-based registration systems we have. I doubt they care that they have to spend a minute downloading assets. The custom assets we have on RCRP have never been poorly received, so clearly the issue here isn't custom content. I've already provided statistics that show our amount of new registrations went down by a noticeable amount as soon as we moved to 0.3.DL in February 2018. We actually did gain players for a while after moving, and even peaked well during summer of 2018. However, the reduction in new players eventually balanced stuff out and has slowly caused average player peaks to trickle down.
Sorry, I read again what I wrote, and I didn't realize, it could be understood contrary. What I meant is, I think LS-RP and RC-RP lost players because 0.3.DL is not known, and that they haven't lost players because they have downloadable objects. I agree with you on that.

- Pool, basketball, golf, Poker Texas Holdem, races and other minigames
- Video game QUB3D
- Roulette, blackjack, slots, video poker and horse-betting
- Stock market BAWSAQ
- Organizations and offices
- Missions from Big Smoke, Sweet, Zero, Cesar or Woozie!
- Gang wars
- More than 30 jobs (police, paramedic, firefighter, burglar, pimp, valet, pizza-boy and more)
- Gyms, strip clubs, clothes shops, hidden packages, oysters, spray tags, horseshoes and more
Watch the TRAILER
Servers are hosted at Evolution Host
Old 30/10/2019, 11:37 PM   #486
TommyB
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I read again what I wrote, and I didn't realize, it could be understood contrary. What I meant is, I think LS-RP and RC-RP lost players because 0.3.DL is not know, and that they didn't lost players because they have downloadable objects. I agree with you on that.
I know what you meant. I was adding onto your stance by saying players already wait a long time to get into these servers. The download they're greeted with likely don't bother them. In RCRP's case, we use a CDN to deliver our content so downloads typically take less than a minute if you have a good connection.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:40 PM   #487
fr0stG
Little Clucker

Quote:
But it's better than nothing, isn't it? I feel this is reasonable compromise.
Maybe the better approach would be to educate people on how to properly compress things and use a CDN for model delivery. CloudFlare can be used, and it's completely free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3JulhlNmSk

533 models in 30 seconds using HTTP/1.1. It could be even faster if it supported sending a ZIP with all of them rather than downloading them one by one. But obviously that could have some security considerations. The arguably better thing to do would be to add HTTP2 support for parallel requests.

The argument that custom downloads worsens the user experience is ridiculous. Sure, it adds a little more wait, but the benefit from having custom models more than makes up for that. In turn, the custom models improve UI/UX as well.

So just some ideas:
- Keep custom models, but enforce HTTP downloads at the minimum
- Add HTTP/2 or QUIC support
- Create a post/wiki article about how to use CDN's, GZIP compression, so on.
- Support sending models via a compressed/archive file to the client (potential security considerations, though)
- Create/implement a server-side minifier for models so that even when people add uncompressed behemoths, the server will still be able to serve them efficiently. Or alternatively, create a script/batch file to mass-minify models so that they can be uploaded/exported.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:47 PM   #488
niCe
Huge Clucker

Guys, I was trying to come up with some compromise, as Kalcor doesn't want the DL feature in 0.3.9. We don't know what impact would the DL have on players, we can only assume. But adding at least some limited DL feature, restricted to 100 objects and 100 skins, could generally test how players accept the DL feature when released in official SA-MP version. I feel this approach is pretty prudent. If the impact was good, the limits could be possibly increased in some other version.

The limit of 100 objects and 100 skins would also make server owners to use the downloadable content wisely and it wouldn't enable anyone to change SA-MP to completely different game, with this amount, it would simply serve for couple of enhancements, the players could benefit from.

- Pool, basketball, golf, Poker Texas Holdem, races and other minigames
- Video game QUB3D
- Roulette, blackjack, slots, video poker and horse-betting
- Stock market BAWSAQ
- Organizations and offices
- Missions from Big Smoke, Sweet, Zero, Cesar or Woozie!
- Gang wars
- More than 30 jobs (police, paramedic, firefighter, burglar, pimp, valet, pizza-boy and more)
- Gyms, strip clubs, clothes shops, hidden packages, oysters, spray tags, horseshoes and more
Watch the TRAILER
Servers are hosted at Evolution Host
Old 30/10/2019, 11:49 PM   #489
Janichar35
Banned

Kalcor,Just make everyone happy and keep both versions all in one please, if there are players who don't want to join servers which have downloadable content just let them know there is a small information written in red,corner of server informations or something so these people won't join it if they still want to play with same lame skins which are left back from 2004 but don't touch what we have man.

The reason of why there aren't many players on 0.3DL is clear, thats because 0.3.DL version of SA-MP was never published officially from sa-mp forums or anywhere. I am sure there are still people who don't even know about this version and they would download the content if they knew, its really bad to see you taking decision to remove 0.3.DL.. I was working on a project eagerly which include custom modelings. Again you believing in newbies mind Kalcor, 0.3.9 will fail. There are people who will leave SA-MP officially if 0.3DL is removed.
Old 30/10/2019, 11:55 PM   #490
WestCoast1337
Little Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janichar35 View Post
Kalcor,Just make everyone happy and keep both versions all in one please, if there are players who don't want to join servers which have downloadable content just let them know there is a small information written in red,corner of server informations or something so these people won't join it if they still want to play with same lame skins which are left back from 2004 but don't touch what we have man.

The reason of why there aren't many players on 0.3DL is clear, thats because 0.3.DL version of SA-MP was never published officially from sa-mp forums or anywhere. I am sure there are still people who don't even know about this version and they would download the content if they knew, its really bad to see you taking decision to remove 0.3.DL.. I was working on a project eagerly which include custom modelings. Again you believing in newbies mind Kalcor, 0.3.9 will fail. There are people who will leave SA-MP officially if 0.3DL is removed.

It was previously mentioned that kalcor will not remove 03DL, but simply will not use it in 0.3.9. I have to agree only on the condition that it will simultaneously update the DL version.

Quote:
Guys, I was trying to come up with some compromise, as Kalcor doesn't want the DL feature in 0.3.9. We don't know what impact would the DL have on players, we can only assume. But adding at least some limited DL feature, restricted to 100 objects and 100 skins, could generally test how players accept the DL feature when released in official SA-MP version. I feel this approach is pretty prudent. If the impact was good, the limits could be possibly increased in some other version.

The limit of 100 objects and 100 skins would also make server owners to use the downloadable content wisely and it wouldn't enable anyone to change SA-MP to completely different game, with this amount, it would simply serve for couple of enhancements, the players could benefit from.
It is a pity that you ignored my post. I use the server on the Vice City map and the limit of 100 objects will not do me any good.
Closed Thread