SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05/11/2019, 03:42 PM   #881
Sajugs
Little Clucker
 
Sajugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 35
Reputation: 77
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Honestly, its the circle of life around here.

Kalcor knows he can do whatever the fuck he wants with no repercussions, because in a few weeks time we will have forgotten about this problem, just like we have forgotten about everything else that happened in the past, such as him nuking the entire Screenshots & Videos section, erasing years of SA-MP history.

Nothing will change if we continue to function the way we do.
Sajugs is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 03:59 PM   #882
Drebin
High-roller
 
Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,102
Reputation: 569
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Honestly, and this is obviously an unpopular opinion, but you all act as if Kye is liable for updating this mod forever. As if you all signed a contract with him and that he must deliver as long as you want him to.

He did all this in his free time, because he wanted to, and if he wants to move on and leave SA-MP in the state it is in right now, he is absolutely free to do so.

It's obvious that SA-MP's player base has decreased to a size it can never recover from. But this is a natural process, this game will soon be two decades old after all.

I have moved on from this game over 5 years ago, and while I had an absolutely amazing experience with this whole community, I will never ever go back to playing, because everything will die someday. I'm a much better person now than I was 11 years ago when I joined SA-MP, and playing again is equal to throwing all this personal improvement over board to have something back that's dead. Like going back together with an ex from 10 years ago - you just don't fucking do that.

Let's all just take this situation as it is and let's all go our own ways. This time was amazing, but time moves on, let's not force ourselves to keep resurrecting something that's already dead.
__________________


GamerX - The SA-MP legend.
Online since 2006.

188.165.219.63:8800
www.gamerxserver.com
Drebin is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:12 PM   #883
Paddylsrp
Little Clucker
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 15
Reputation: 3
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
Honestly, and this is obviously an unpopular opinion, but you all act as if Kye is liable for updating this mod forever. As if you all signed a contract with him and that he must deliver as long as you want him to.

He did all this in his free time, because he wanted to, and if he wants to move on and leave SA-MP in the state it is in right now, he is absolutely free to do so.
I think that what you say is absolutely true, and if it was the case that Kalcor had stated that he was leaving SA-MP in this state, very few people would complain. However, with the most recent thing he said being:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
We've decided to not include the 0.3DL downloading feature in 0.3.9.

If you have a server on 0.3DL and you want to come back to the main branch, you could contact me about possible inclusion of skins in to the 0.3.9 installer.
It seems that he's far from "leaving it as it is", but rather actively making efforts to remove and diminish the current product that is used by many.

Your argument is built on sound logic, but just like your analogy of ex-girlfriends is good advice, you equally don't want to be the person who came to the football park, decided you weren't happy and take the view that it's "your ball and nobody else is playing".
Paddylsrp is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:15 PM   #884
TommyB
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas, USA.
Posts: 192
Reputation: 228
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
Honestly, and this is obviously an unpopular opinion, but you all act as if Kye is liable for updating this mod forever. As if you all signed a contract with him and that he must deliver as long as you want him to.

He did all this in his free time, because he wanted to, and if he wants to move on and leave SA-MP in the state it is in right now, he is absolutely free to do so.

It's obvious that SA-MP's player base has decreased to a size it can never recover from. But this is a natural process, this game will soon be two decades old after all.

I have moved on from this game over 5 years ago, and while I had an absolutely amazing experience with this whole community, I will never ever go back to playing, because everything will die someday. I'm a much better person now than I was 11 years ago when I joined SA-MP, and playing again is equal to throwing all this personal improvement over board to have something back that's dead. Like going back together with an ex from 10 years ago - you just don't fucking do that.

Let's all just take this situation as it is and let's all go our own ways. This time was amazing, but time moves on, let's not force ourselves to keep resurrecting something that's already dead.
Please don't misrepresent our arguments. The primary thing people are asking for is that the file downloading feature, which is already complete, to be merged into the main version of SA-MP. If anyone thinks Kalcor is a bad person for wanting to move on with his life, they're fucking retarded. The problem is that SA-MP is currently split and the upcoming 0.3.9 update opened a window to reunite it, which unfortunately won't be happening. Adding the download feature into 0.3.9 would have been a great opportunity to reunite SA-MP and let Kalcor move on without having to worry about what to do with 0.3.DL, but whatever.
TommyB is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:18 PM   #885
howl
Little Clucker
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1
Reputation: 0
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
I have moved on from this game over 5 years ago, and while I had an absolutely amazing experience with this whole community, I will never ever go back to playing, because everything will die someday. I'm a much better person now than I was 11 years ago when I joined SA-MP, and playing again is equal to throwing all this personal improvement over board to have something back that's dead. Like going back together with an ex from 10 years ago - you just don't fucking do that.

Let's all just take this situation as it is and let's all go our own ways. This time was amazing, but time moves on, let's not force ourselves to keep resurrecting something that's already dead.
He found what to compare with. lmao
howl is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:28 PM   #886
Drebin
High-roller
 
Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,102
Reputation: 569
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
The problem is that SA-MP is currently split and the upcoming 0.3.9 update opened a window to reunite it, which unfortunately won't be happening.
You're absolutely right with this, and this is definitiely a valid point, but that's not the "group" of people I was talking to. My post refers to the people in here who have absolutely thrown their good manners overboard and thrown accusations at him for stuff they have no idea about.
__________________


GamerX - The SA-MP legend.
Online since 2006.

188.165.219.63:8800
www.gamerxserver.com
Drebin is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:31 PM   #887
Sajugs
Little Clucker
 
Sajugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 35
Reputation: 77
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
Honestly, and this is obviously an unpopular opinion, but you all act as if Kye is liable for updating this mod forever. As if you all signed a contract with him and that he must deliver as long as you want him to.

He did all this in his free time, because he wanted to, and if he wants to move on and leave SA-MP in the state it is in right now, he is absolutely free to do so.

It's obvious that SA-MP's player base has decreased to a size it can never recover from. But this is a natural process, this game will soon be two decades old after all.

I have moved on from this game over 5 years ago, and while I had an absolutely amazing experience with this whole community, I will never ever go back to playing, because everything will die someday. I'm a much better person now than I was 11 years ago when I joined SA-MP, and playing again is equal to throwing all this personal improvement over board to have something back that's dead. Like going back together with an ex from 10 years ago - you just don't fucking do that.

Let's all just take this situation as it is and let's all go our own ways. This time was amazing, but time moves on, let's not force ourselves to keep resurrecting something that's already dead.
I'm sorry but this argument is pretty fucking stupid. Sure, Kalcor is by no means bound to continue this mod forever and is free to leave at any point, but this had nothing to do with it. We are not complaining about him leaving the mod.

And just because he developed this for free in his free time doesn't mean he gets to be a dick and not get called out for it.

Also, its easy for you to talk about "letting go" and "dealing with it" when you have not been doing anything on SA-MP for 5 years, when others have put in months and months of work into models for it all to be ripped away from them and made obsolete for stupid reasons.
Sajugs is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:33 PM   #888
willttoonn
Gangsta
 
willttoonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 935
Reputation: 88
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

The reality is that for those who have 0.3.DL server currently does not change much. The version will continuous separate from the main branch like was decided in 2017 and we will continue playing our projects until players stop playing once and for all SA-MP and this will not be the fault of the mod but the time that goes by each day and the game will becoming less and less attractive to players, even with our efforts to improve it.

The only chance to merge the two versions and present an update for all server types would be a 0.3.9 with download feature, which would merge the player base of the two versions into one and that all servers using both versions would upgrade and force their players to do so as it is very advantageous to have some new features and continue what has been done. Never before has an SA-MP update ever caused work already done to be discarded as 0.3.9 might do.

My players do not download the Client from the SA-MP website, they do not have the current version link there and I provide the direct download link on my site and forum and therefore the existence of a separate version has never been a problem for my players.

I don't know exactly what you think you will achieve with the 0.3.9 without download feature, but I am absolutely sure that joining the number of players will not be.

The SA-MP 0.3.9 without download feature isn't update! Is a downgrading!
__________________
Sometimes a captain has to make the unpopular call because that's his responsibility

_________ Development Manager ______________________ Administrator
____________________ Brazilian Hard Roleplay Server ___________ Unofficial discord of the Brazilian/Portuguese SA-MP board

____________ _

willttoonn is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:45 PM   #889
JozSA
Little Clucker
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 7
Reputation: 0
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebin View Post
Honestly, and this is obviously an unpopular opinion, but you all act as if Kye is liable for updating this mod forever. As if you all signed a contract with him and that he must deliver as long as you want him to.

He did all this in his free time, because he wanted to, and if he wants to move on and leave SA-MP in the state it is in right now, he is absolutely free to do so.

It's obvious that SA-MP's player base has decreased to a size it can never recover from. But this is a natural process, this game will soon be two decades old after all.

I have moved on from this game over 5 years ago, and while I had an absolutely amazing experience with this whole community, I will never ever go back to playing, because everything will die someday. I'm a much better person now than I was 11 years ago when I joined SA-MP, and playing again is equal to throwing all this personal improvement over board to have something back that's dead. Like going back together with an ex from 10 years ago - you just don't fucking do that.

Let's all just take this situation as it is and let's all go our own ways. This time was amazing, but time moves on, let's not force ourselves to keep resurrecting something that's already dead.
Nobody's asking him to update the mod forever. We're just saying that if he leaves he should leave on a good note. He doesn't want to do anything at all? Fine, but please don't touch what you've already made.

Sure SA-MP was a project in his free-time, but it can't be compared to something like a lego build or writing a book. SA-MP is something that brings together a shit ton of people, and gives them all something to invest time into. When you invest into something like that and decide to update it from time to time too, obviously you'll be bringing on a little bit of responsibility onto your shoulders.

With regards to your personal experience: I'm not saying the game's not dying out, but what I don't understand is how revisiting a game that you played 11 years ago will throw all of your "personal improvement" overboard. Everyone develops as a person, and there's nothing wrong with revisiting something enjoyable you did before and looking at it through a mature lens.
JozSA is offline  
Old 05/11/2019, 04:52 PM   #890
Cr0heart
Little Clucker
 
Cr0heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Croatia, Zagreb Money: 999,999,999$
Posts: 30
Reputation: 29
Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JozSA View Post
Nobody's asking him to update the mod forever. We're just saying that if he leaves he should leave on a good note. He doesn't want to do anything at all? Fine, but please don't touch what you've already made.

Sure SA-MP was a project in his free-time, but it can't be compared to something like a lego build or writing a book. SA-MP is something that brings together a shit ton of people, and gives them all something to invest time into. When you invest into something like that and decide to update it from time to time too, obviously you'll be bringing on a little bit of responsibility onto your shoulders.

With regards to your personal experience: I'm not saying the game's not dying out, but what I don't understand is how revisiting a game that you played 11 years ago will throw all of your "personal improvement" overboard. Everyone develops as a person, and there's nothing wrong with revisiting something enjoyable you did before and looking at it through a mature lens.
I bet this is Kalcor's fake profile,
Cr0heart is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it still worth? SoloMid General 12 03/03/2018 07:18 PM
Was it all worth it? Dairyll General 31 12/11/2014 02:20 AM
Worth doing or not? ross8839 Everything and Nothing 20 17/01/2013 12:15 PM
How much is my PC worth? Smithy Everything and Nothing 11 07/05/2012 07:45 PM
Is it worth to buy iNorton Everything and Nothing 12 14/11/2011 12:52 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.