SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Old 22/10/2019, 04:59 PM   #1
keytruth
Little Clucker

Question How does SA-MP work?

Hello everyone, I was wondering how SA-MP works? Please tell us how SA-MP, RakNet (Packages, etc.), client-server, etc. work.
What method does something change in the game? (SCM, Memory Addresses)

(It is advisable to give an answer in expanded form)

My creations:

keytruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/10/2019, 01:10 AM   #2
IllidanS4
Big Clucker

Default Re: How does SA-MP work?

Well there's a lot of it, much more than a single forum post could provide. For detailed overview of the network protocol, you can look up the RakNet specification, and for the listing of RPCs and packet IDs, there are some in the source code of YSF.

The basic working of the networking model is simple. Each tick, the server reads all packets coming from the clients (a packet here is a whole single message) and processes them based on their ID. The ID can identify a player sync, vehicle sync, camera sync and others, and there is also a special type of packet called RPC.

The sync packets contain information like position, rotation, health etc. When they are received, the relevant fields are copied to the player structures in the server for later access via scripts. The whole sync packet is copied to another location in the player's data, and OnPlayerUpdate is called to determine whether the packet shall be re-sent to other players (in range). The true is returned there, the player is marked as "updated", telling the server to send this packet to other players.

RPCs (remote procedure calls) form a large set of packet "sub-IDs". They represent actions performed by the server that should be streamed to the players (or vice-versa). Some are broadcasted to all players, some are sent only to a single one. For example, the RPC caused by CreateObject is broadcasted to all people (informing them of a new object), while SetPlayerPos sends the RPC only to the targeted player (and when they are teleported, they send a sync packet with their new position).

The client works pretty much the same in this regard; it sends and receives packets which manipulate the game's entities in different ways. Some things are performed by manipulating memory, some by calling functions provided by the game, but I think all of them require understanding of memory addresses used by the game.

This is all I can provide now. It's from memory, so sorry for any mistakes.
Old 24/10/2019, 02:52 PM   #3
keytruth
Little Clucker

Default Re: How does SA-MP work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4 View Post
Well there's a lot of it, much more than a single forum post could provide. For detailed overview of the network protocol, you can look up the RakNet specification, and for the listing of RPCs and packet IDs, there are some in the source code of YSF.

The basic working of the networking model is simple. Each tick, the server reads all packets coming from the clients (a packet here is a whole single message) and processes them based on their ID. The ID can identify a player sync, vehicle sync, camera sync and others, and there is also a special type of packet called RPC.

The sync packets contain information like position, rotation, health etc. When they are received, the relevant fields are copied to the player structures in the server for later access via scripts. The whole sync packet is copied to another location in the player's data, and OnPlayerUpdate is called to determine whether the packet shall be re-sent to other players (in range). The true is returned there, the player is marked as "updated", telling the server to send this packet to other players.

RPCs (remote procedure calls) form a large set of packet "sub-IDs". They represent actions performed by the server that should be streamed to the players (or vice-versa). Some are broadcasted to all players, some are sent only to a single one. For example, the RPC caused by CreateObject is broadcasted to all people (informing them of a new object), while SetPlayerPos sends the RPC only to the targeted player (and when they are teleported, they send a sync packet with their new position).

The client works pretty much the same in this regard; it sends and receives packets which manipulate the game's entities in different ways. Some things are performed by manipulating memory, some by calling functions provided by the game, but I think all of them require understanding of memory addresses used by the game.

This is all I can provide now. It's from memory, so sorry for any mistakes.
Thank you

My creations:

keytruth is offline   Reply With Quote