Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Closed Thread

Old 18/10/2019, 11:41 AM   #21
ZevsAC
Little Clucker

Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
Yeah, I'm done. I haven't officially called it because there's always a chance of a security update or something.

Nobody who has been around as long as me still plays this game. If they're here at all, it's only to chat with people they met years ago.

You're wasting your time writing a SA-MP script from scratch, unless it's something that interests you. There are already loads of scripts out there.

You wouldn't start a SA-MP server in 2019. If you want to make something involving SA-MP, build a gaming community with a forum etc and run multiple games.

I've been planning to move to linux desktop for a long time. There's a shift in that direction among computing professionals and scientists.
sourcee code buddy, look at this forum , samp isn't tottaly dead yet
Old 18/10/2019, 11:46 AM   #22
Chilli9434
Huge Clucker

I think now would be the perfect time to open source the project, it's literally the only other option apart from letting it completely die.

I understand why you want to let it run it's course and die, you've spent literally a decade and some on the project and I assume now you just want it to be over. However, I think the best way to leave your legacy would be with either giving the project over to someone else or allowing the remaining members of the community with it and see what happens.

At least merging the .DL branch into the main version of the game would do something to help resolve the split in the community and hopefully give at least some tiny hope and consistency to any new or low pb servers trying to reach out to more people.

Old 18/10/2019, 12:00 PM   #23
[KoL]17
Little Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanz View Post
There are also significant differences in how owners run their communities too. I know that the owner of one of the largest English roleplay servers is a racist individual who dismisses claims of staff DDOSing players.
Which server is this?
Old 18/10/2019, 12:07 PM   #24
Mike861
Huge Clucker

Let's all unite and create a masterpiece. xD
Old 18/10/2019, 12:27 PM   #25
linuxthefish
High-roller

Quote:
Yeah, I'm done. I haven't officially called it because there's always a chance of a security update or something.

Nobody who has been around as long as me still plays this game. If they're here at all, it's only to chat with people they met years ago.

You're wasting your time writing a SA-MP script from scratch, unless it's something that interests you. There are already loads of scripts out there.

You wouldn't start a SA-MP server in 2019. If you want to make something involving SA-MP, build a gaming community with a forum etc and run multiple games.

I've been planning to move to linux desktop for a long time. There's a shift in that direction among computing professionals and scientists.
Open source SA-MP, at least let other build on it
Old 18/10/2019, 01:04 PM   #26
Freaksken
Gangsta

Quote:
I've tried GTA SA on an Ubuntu system with Wine. As long as you have the drivers for your graphics card installed properly, the game runs perfectly without any lag or hickups.

[Include] FCNPC A.I. - [Tutorial] Speedometer - [WIP] Single-player-like co-op mission - [Other] List of all my work
Old 18/10/2019, 01:12 PM   #27
NarutoUA
Little Clucker

Open-sourcing won't solve anything but produce countless amount of new uncompatible custom clients/servers so samp will die much faster in that case. IMO Kalcor should delegate development to a new dev team he would trust.
Old 18/10/2019, 02:21 PM   #28
linuxthefish
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUA View Post
Open-sourcing won't solve anything but produce countless amount of new uncompatible custom clients/servers so samp will die much faster in that case. IMO Kalcor should delegate development to a new dev team he would trust.
Then why do you have your own SA-MP stuff on github based on the leaked source code?
Old 18/10/2019, 02:22 PM   #29
loffee
Little Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUA View Post
Open sourcing really won`t sovle nothing. But I think development of multiplayer will be stopped, Kalcor won`t give his sources to other developers. Just remember RW multiplayer. They took SAMP 0.2.5 and Kalcor almost brought this case to court. I think Kalcor leave SAMP for mercy of fate. Many reasons for it. Starting from almost 15 year old game (on 26th October), old engine, bugs. Kalcor squeezed all the juices out of SAMP. Nothing to create or update. SAMP is dying. Almost died. No one would care about development of multiplayer to 15 year old game.
Old 18/10/2019, 02:24 PM   #30
Doddinger
Little Clucker

Hihi,

well I'm thankful that the RakNET still exists and that somebody, probably Kalcor, is watching on it. I'm not that much into this networking stuff but I'm simply happy that it exists. I'm very fanatic in scripting and I wanted to start writing my own discord connector plugin as the one of maddinator is shitty. Sorry for that but that's simply true in my eyes. As I don't want to reason it now and as it seems to be needless for me to explain an ignorant german the "why", I will continue.
Back to topic, I personally think in the same way as Kalcor thinks. If it's really interests you, then start writing a gamemode from scratch. I had fun scripting some features of other games i.e. "taking" their idea, and scripting them with PAWNO. Had a lot of fun with that. I've also read something about the samp client & the server. Don't publish the source code. Never do it, your own personality will regret it. It's not the way how it works. If people think they can do it better, then do it by yourself. That's how its going on. SA:MP is not dying. The minds of some peops, who can't understand that some games such as gta sa got cult, are only unable to accept this fact. You can compare samp or simply gta sa with some nitendo game cube games. Many of them are a part of our gaming culture so it will never "die" unless the RakNET shuts down if I understood that correctly cz without the network, the clients are useless ofc. .
I've also read something about running samp clients on different OSs. Sorry for my grammar cz I use short forms to make it shorter. I ran it on kali (even backtrack 3 ran it), debian (6,7,8,9), ubuntu (12,13,14,15,16,1 with wine. U need to download the matching libraries and if wine does not even work, then simply compile it for your OS. Installation sometimes simply take some more time than on windows. It's simply more friendly to users and that's why it archieved more success as their are more users than devs in this world.

That's all from my side.

Wish you all a good day,

BB.
Closed Thread