SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Server > Server Support

Old 04/05/2016, 01:59 PM   #11
kaisersouse
High-roller

Default Re: Server System Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
It's shit because the VPS' seems like bait. 5GB RAM, only 1 core and 100mbit/s? There's no way he's ever going to use that 5GB of RAM because he's limited by his CPU/connection. He might as well get a cheaper VPS from a more reputable place that are balanced instead of this shit.

While it's fine for SA-MP only, if he wants to host a website on the VPS alongside of it 100mbit/s quickly becomes shit.
I agree, he will never use 5GB for SA-MP, however thats regardless of CPU/connection. Also, the OP listed 1.5GB (not 5GB) but he still wont use even that if it SA-MP only.

I also agree, that loading the VPS up with anything else and he'll start to feel a little burn. That is of course, if the website is very active.

My comment was SOLELY about his connection. And on the point of VPS quality...if its from a provider whos trying to run a ton of virtuals on a dedicated, yeah hes in for some pain. If they are managing their virtual environment properly, it won't matter.

The note about using an OVH VPS w/ 100mbit and utilizing their DDoS protection is spot-on. I've heard a range of things about OVHs VPS service (ranging from good to horrible) and I'm an OVH dedicated server customer so I can only base my thoughts and opinions on that context (dedi, not vps)

Ban UIF
kaisersouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2016, 03:47 PM   #12
TheWay
Big Clucker

It is 1.5 not 5.
BTW the Host Company offers me Ddos protection.
TheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2016, 04:13 PM   #13
Duck
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse View Post
I agree, he will never use 5GB for SA-MP, however thats regardless of CPU/connection. Also, the OP listed 1.5GB (not 5GB) but he still wont use even that if it SA-MP only.

I also agree, that loading the VPS up with anything else and he'll start to feel a little burn. That is of course, if the website is very active.

My comment was SOLELY about his connection. And on the point of VPS quality...if its from a provider whos trying to run a ton of virtuals on a dedicated, yeah hes in for some pain. If they are managing their virtual environment properly, it won't matter.

The note about using an OVH VPS w/ 100mbit and utilizing their DDoS protection is spot-on. I've heard a range of things about OVHs VPS service (ranging from good to horrible) and I'm an OVH dedicated server customer so I can only base my thoughts and opinions on that context (dedi, not vps)
Oh wow, can't believe I missed the 1. in front of the 5 lol.

But basically what I'm trying to say, there's always the chance that your server becomes popular. Depending on what the community wants, you'd probably want to have a forum and UCP, so you'd need to either switch to a different VPS if his provider doesn't provide any scaling options or scale up. I'd rather be in the clear to host a website alongside of it right away. Personally I don't think DDoS protection is worth it at all, out of 100 people shouting that they're getting DDoSed only 1 of them is actually getting DDoSed in reality. Most people don't bother running a quick netstat to check. It could just be another server on the box that's doing some wacky things or downtime (yesterday someone told me he was getting DDoSed while it was actually just CloudFlare's DNS that was down, some people..)
Old 04/05/2016, 04:20 PM   #14
xPhantom
Huge Clucker

Quote:

The con about OVH VPS DDoS protection is that it only lets you utilize TCP DDoS protection, leaving you with UDP attacks which is more effective on SA:MP. If you're going to use OVH for gaming communities, it is best to stick with their game server lineup which provides GAME Anti-DDoS protection which will you give you both L4 and L7 protection.
Old 04/05/2016, 04:25 PM   #15
kaisersouse
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom View Post
The con about OVH VPS DDoS protection is that it only lets you utilize TCP DDoS protection, leaving you with UDP attacks which is more effective on SA:MP. If you're going to use OVH for gaming communities, it is best to stick with their game server lineup which provides GAME Anti-DDoS protection which will you give you both L4 and L7 protection.
The only UDP attacks I've ever experienced are RakNet exploits (query flooding,etc) so I have no real response to this.

I dont like that youre forced into SSDs on the GAME systems.

Ban UIF
Old 04/05/2016, 04:37 PM   #16
xPhantom
Huge Clucker

Quote:
The only UDP attacks I've ever experienced are RakNet exploits (query flooding,etc) so I have no real response to this.

I dont like that youre forced into SSDs on the GAME systems.
Yeah that's unfortunate but personally I don't think it can be completely bad. It'll be better for the consumer, still leaves the host less space to host servers though. I have had no issues with the GAME systems in terms of DDoS attacks unlike the Enterprise line.
Old 04/05/2016, 04:58 PM   #17
kaisersouse
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom View Post
Yeah that's unfortunate but personally I don't think it can be completely bad. It'll be better for the consumer, still leaves the host less space to host servers though. I have had no issues with the GAME systems in terms of DDoS attacks unlike the Enterprise line.
Oh its not terrible, would just be nice if you could have a spinny disk option for game instances that wouldnt benefit from an SSD

Ban UIF
Old 04/05/2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Elegy
Banned

Lol 100MB? I suggest u to use digitalocean ,it cool, i also bought it before

#brokenenglish
Elegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27/07/2016, 01:00 AM   #19
WellDone
Little Clucker

Also thinking about getting a VPS (on the Russian market) for my upcoming server, because "pay per slot" scheme is either too expensive or really shitty if it's cheap. So, will this configuration sustain a 1000 slots server + website?

CPU: 1 core (clock speed not specified)
RAM: 1024 MB
SSD: 20 GB
Internet traffic: 1000 GB per month
Internet speed: 1 Gb/s

Also would 512 MB RAM be enough? And what about 256 MB?

Last edited by WellDone; 27/07/2016 at 01:31 AM.
WellDone is offline   Reply With Quote