SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help

Old 13/08/2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker

Default numhash'd usernames

Hey guys, quick question for anyone who knows,

If one was to numhash usernames, do you think that there would be the possibility of some other player having the same number?, no?

An what if I divide the returned number by 100?, would that increase the chances of it happening then?, or still no??
Old 13/08/2019, 01:24 PM   #2
YouShootIDodge
Little Clucker

Default Re: numhash'd usernames

Dividing 2 same numbers by 100, the numbers will still be the same.
YouShootIDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/08/2019, 02:01 PM   #3
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShootIDodge View Post
Dividing 2 same numbers by 100, the numbers will still be the same.

I don't think you quite understand man, I'm asking if there is a chance of someones username returning the same hashed value as someone else's username(the names ARE NOT the same), so the hashed value in theory should not, nor never be the same.

But then some usernames can result in quite a large number when returned as a numhash, much larger than the maximum possible virtual world.. so maybe it can be divided by 100 to circumvent this.
Old 13/08/2019, 02:36 PM   #4
NaS
High-roller

There can always be collisions but that depends on the algorithm. What's the point anyway?

If that number is larger than a 4 byte variable can store, dividing is pointless. It would already have exceeded the maximum number at that point, you wouldn't be able to calculate with the real number.
Also dividing would increase the likelihood of collisions, eg. 7812 and 7813 give the same result if you divide those by 100 (as integer) and it wouldn't matter how large the number is for the same thing to happen.
NaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/08/2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Killa[DGZ]
Huge Clucker

Thanks for clearing that up NaS, I ask because I've made a world edit script and I'm trying to figure out a way to assign each and every player a unique virtual world based on the players username.

Then with that I wish to store the user created maps under their own virtual world id eg: (71521.map), then others would be able to fetch and load the objects in that particular world by just knowing the username of the creator.

It's much harder than I originally thought though.. any ideas on how I can achieve this man?
Old 13/08/2019, 03:00 PM   #6
RogueDrifter
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa[DGZ] View Post
Thanks for clearing that up NaS, I ask because I've made a world edit script and I'm trying to figure out a way to assign each and every player a unique virtual world based on the players username.

Then with that I wish to store the user created maps under their own virtual world id eg: (71521.map), then others would be able to fetch and load the objects in that particular world by just knowing the username of the creator.

It's much harder than I originally thought though.. any ideas on how I can achieve this man?
SetPlayerVirtualWorld(playerid, playerid); ???????

Then, there's also this: https://github.com/Southclaws/pawn-uuid

EDIT: Almost forgot, if you're an SQL user you can also take advantage of the ' AUTOINCREMENT ' feature. Players being registered on the database would have their own unique ID based on when they actually register.

[Github]:Link [Gists]:Link [Forum]:Link [Server]:Link [Discord]:Link
RogueDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13/08/2019, 06:08 PM   #7
GTLS
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDrifter View Post
SetPlayerVirtualWorld(playerid, playerid); ?

Then, there's also this: https://github.com/Southclaws/pawn-uuid

EDIT: Almost forgot, if you're an SQL user you can also take advantage of the ' AUTOINCREMENT ' feature. Players being registered on the database would have their own unique ID based on when they actually register.
Exactly. Just set their VW on the based of their Database ID, when you spawn them. Database IDs stay unique for each and every character.

I don't help for rep. I help cuz I was helped in the past.

Retired from SAMP Scene. Might open SAMP Forums once in a while.

Some treats for ya. Click em
Basic House System
Simple Speedo
Base Login/Register Script

GTLS is offline   Reply With Quote