SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > Other > Everything and Nothing

Old 01/06/2019, 04:50 PM   #1
SsHady
Gangsta

Default Random FPS drops on a gaming Laptop.

Heyyyy,

Since SA-MP forums is the only gaming community, where I have an account so I thought I could ask about it here. I have an Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop by Dell, It's got an i5 7th gen, alongwith a gtx 1050 4 gigs.

So it's a fine laptop, which runs most of the newer games fine. But from the past few days, I've been having these weird random sessions during which my frames drop, and stay low for a couple of seconds, sometimes more and then goes back upto 200+ such as in game like CS-GO. During these fps drops, my frames drops to 30, and sometimes even lower.

So I downloaded Afterburner to check what the heck was happening, and I noticed the following few things happen during my fps drops session.
  • My GPU1 temperature stays at 70-73 C, throughout the sessions during the high and low FPS.
  • My GPU1 memory clock stays where it should be? its in the same range during the high and low FPS.
  • My GPU1 usage is usually above 70% and I get good FPS, but during the fps drops It drops to about 10-20%
  • My CPU clock is usually above 1300Mhz, but during the fps drops it gets capped at 799Mhz, and I think that is where the issue is?

So, I could use some little help?

Thanks.
SsHady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2019, 09:25 PM   #2
dugi
Beta Tester

Default Re: Random FPS drops on a gaming Laptop.

Sounds like CPU throttling due to high temp, check your CPU temperature.

I use: https://openhardwaremonitor.org/
dugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2019, 07:25 AM   #3
LowIQ
Little Clucker

Does it drop even if its pluged in?
LowIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2019, 01:24 PM   #4
SsHady
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowIQ View Post
Does it drop even if its pluged in?
Yes, now that's something I find funny. As long as it is plugged, the frames are well not consistent? I mean, I can get really high frames and sometimes the frustrating low frames thingy, But when I unplug it, and use it on battery, I can get somewhat consistent 60 frames per second, and they're actually much more consistent than what I get when its plugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugi View Post
Sounds like CPU throttling due to high temp, check your CPU temperature.

I use: https://openhardwaremonitor.org/
I'll be sure to check that out, thanks.
Edit: I just ordered that laptop/notebook cooler thingy with fans that you put underneath the laptop whilst playing, so hopefully that'll help me keep the temperatures low, can't wait for it to arrive. Fingers crossed.
SsHady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Battlezone
Gangsta

I have the same laptop and after few months of trying to fix this issue, I found out it only had to do with throttling. To fix this simply follow the steps on this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...nspiron_power/
However this alone wasn't a permanent solution for me (for some reason) so as an extra step I usually
open ThrottleStop, click on 'TPL' button and then tick Speedshift and set its Min value to 255 then press OK. This will keep your CPU at its max performance no matter what the temperature ist.
Dell pricks have set this limit for some stupid reason, which is 'saving battery life'. Sounds ridiculous to me and more of an excuse to force people who want gaming laptops to buy their Alienwares instead.
Battlezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2019, 07:57 PM   #6
Gforcez
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlezone View Post
I have the same laptop and after few months of trying to fix this issue, I found out it only had to do with throttling. To fix this simply follow the steps on this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...nspiron_power/
However this alone wasn't a permanent solution for me (for some reason) so as an extra step I usually
open ThrottleStop, click on 'TPL' button and then tick Speedshift and set its Min value to 255 then press OK. This will keep your CPU at its max performance no matter what the temperature ist.
Dell pricks have set this limit for some stupid reason, which is 'saving battery life'. Sounds ridiculous to me and more of an excuse to force people who want gaming laptops to buy their Alienwares instead.
Yea, sounds like a great way to burn down your CPU. Letting it run on max performance even when it's overheating. The CPU is throttling for a reason...

Gforcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/06/2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Kasis
Huge Clucker

I don't know man, gaming laptop with overheating problems? + trying to solve it with cooling platform? That is like buying phone for $1,000 and placing it in $0.99 case

Anyways...
Maybe your system is just full of junk which makes you go slow and hot?
Regarding your cpu clock speed, is your bios settings okay?
Old 08/06/2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Battlezone
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez View Post
Yea, sounds like a great way to burn down your CPU. Letting it run on max performance even when it's overheating. The CPU is throttling for a reason...
The laptop is equipped with 2 powerful fans and is designed to keep both CPU and GPU running at max performance at high temperatures, furthermore the i7 7700HQ will run at temperatures up to 100C and it is as well totally normal to have it run at temperatures between 70-90C.
Mine never exceeds 84C at max states and I've been doing it for over a year now, along with other people that applied the solution. And yeah the CPU throttling is for a reason other than overheating
Not to mention that if you renew the thermal paste and clean fans periodically you would even have slightly lower temperatures.
Of course I assume you don't have the same laptop
Battlezone is offline   Reply With Quote