SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > Other > Everything and Nothing

Old 01/07/2019, 11:10 PM   #1
Aerotactics
High-roller

Default This community got me into a university.

Every time I come back to this forum, I'm hit with nostalgia for all the projects I worked on. I started here in 2012 making a filterscript that spawns ricers, up until last year when I was the lead programmer for a friend's gang wars TDM server, and as of this year, I joined the Academy of Art University in San Francisco, California to get a Bachelor of Science in Game Programming.

Learning Pawn as my first language gave me a huge advantage in the first semester. I remember wanting to be a game developer way back in 2013 at the earliest, but my family frowned upon it. I bounced around several jobs and college degrees trying to find where I fit in. I always came back to programming. Nowadays, they fully support me and my goals, and might have realized that gaming is the future.

I remember people like Konstantinos, JernejL, and some others I wanted to be as experienced as one day. I wanted to do things that they could do, and create my own ideas. It's amazing how much Pawn knowledge transferred to C++. I have made games in the windows console including Checkers, Stratego, and Alter, a game I created for a class assignment, and I have been given the tools and almost enough experience to start making games in Unity.

So, if you enjoy Pawn scripting, and are considering a career, perhaps you'll want to be a game programmer. Just a thought.

Thanks.

P.S. Also thanks to Rangerxxll for the good times and fun projects. We had some great collaborations. I don't regret anything.

I still want my computer back though.

EDIT: Also shoutout to punklord, noahF, wizardy, and anyone else I met here. You're all great, and I'm sorry if I forgot about you.
Aerotactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2019, 01:49 PM   #2
Nyzenic
Big Clucker

Default Re: This community got me into a university.

Good luck with your future career man.
I'm also currently studying C++ in my school and I'm proud to say that I'm one of the best in my class just because of the Pawn knowledge I already had all these years. I also want to be a game programmer in the future because of this community/platform and hope to make some nice Unity games just like you.

PS I hope you get your computer back
Old 02/07/2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Eoussama
High-roller

Reading this does put a smile in my face, it reflects on me so much. I still remember back when I didn't know what I really wanted to do, it looks like the curiosity of opening that samp server folder one-day changed my whole life.

|===[Web taxi]===|
List of my work
Github
Pastebin

|===[Interesting topics]===|
Semantic Versioning
Eoussama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2019, 06:15 AM   #4
GTLS
High-roller

Same as you brother. I started PAWN in 2013. PAWN was first ever programming language I learned. Although it was clear from the start that I will become a programmer, just this SAMP part was unplanned... hahah

I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Applications and my Masters Degree in Cyber Security and Software Technologies will start from this month cheers..

I don't help for rep. I help cuz I was helped in the past.

Retired from SAMP Scene. Might open SAMP Forums once in a while.

Some treats for ya. Click em
Basic House System
Simple Speedo
Base Login/Register Script

GTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2019, 06:40 AM   #5
coool
Gangsta

Good luck. There are many people whose careers are influenced by this community.
Old 03/07/2019, 08:59 AM   #6
FireCat
High-roller

Hey, this community has also helped me grow and build my career.

I was around 13 when I joined - and now I'm managing my software consultancy company.
FireCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2019, 11:49 PM   #7
graef
Little Clucker

I think i have similar experience with yours. Back then i really wanted to learn to program but it was pretty hard to get started. Somehow, out of boredom i found SA-MP, play on some RPs server and got my curiosity to create my own server. At that time i have little to zero knowledge about scripting and maintaining a VPS.

Although my server only ran for some month, i learned a lot of things. Posts in tutorials and plugin section helped me to understand things and gave me motivation to learn deeper especially ****** posts about code optimization, AMX Assembly, and explanation of YSI parts. Sampgdk also helped me to understand C++ and from that i able to learn other things that not related to sa-mp.

Because of this community i won in two coding competition, enrolled in a polytechnic without a test (wouldn't be accepted if i were enroll through a test because i'm dumb af lmao).

Nowadays, i open this forum just to remember that day and read some interesting post.
Old 04/07/2019, 03:09 PM   #8
Zh3r0
High-roller

I can confirm. I'm currently taking my college exam license using a filterscript I made. So yeah, SA-MP drew a trajectory into my life that's for sure
Old 06/07/2019, 04:40 PM   #9
GavoO0
Banned

Don't forget Y__Less, I learned a lot from his code too
GavoO0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2019, 11:29 PM   #10
RogueDrifter
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh3r0 View Post
I can confirm. I'm currently taking my college exam license using a filterscript I made. So yeah, SA-MP drew a trajectory into my life that's for sure
I'm really interested in knowing what kind of a filterscript is it

[Github]:Link [Gists]:Link [Forum]:Link [Server]:Link [Discord]:Link
RogueDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote