Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Closed Thread

Old 30/10/2019, 05:08 PM   #361
Kalcor
SA-MP Developer

Default Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4r View Post
Dude if you remove half of those (Y) features will literally break sa-mp.
Some command processors? Almost all use that.

E.G

SetTimerEx ? Every single script?
CallLocalFunction?
SendPlayerMessage?
ForceClassSelection?
Race checkpoints?
Virtual Worlds?
Per player objects Streamer?
Y Less hasn't contributed to SA-MP since 2007 (0.2). There's a history behind everything you listed.

I'll have to make the determination what needs to be removed or redesigned. I wouldn't credit everything you listed to Y Less.

edit:

I think the reason something like this comes up is because Y Less and co are going to try and justify stealing everything from sa-mp based on a few contributions 11 years ago, which is why his contributions need to be removed.
Old 30/10/2019, 05:18 PM   #362
fr0stG
Little Clucker

Question Re: Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
I'm not throwing anything anyway. All I have to do to enable the downloading feature is flip a switch in the compiler.

I'm just not seeing the upside for sa-mp, releasing DL as the main version.
I'm confused, what's the logic in releasing a new version without DL/custom model capabilities? Servers that do not use them will continue to work as expected, however servers that do use them will not be alienated from the rest of pack.

Whether you want to admit it or not, you put the early adopters for 0.3DL in a bad position. I'm not sure people would've widely adopted it if they knew that support would be haphazardly dropped and split from what's widely available. Sure, you can shift blame and say "that's a risk they took", but I don't think anyone thought this feature was going to be dropped/optional. Everyone (including myself) saw huge potential for it.

I spent countless hours optimizing models and CDN delivery for 0.3DL to provide a good experience. Seeing that go to waste in the big picture of things is just sad.

I think it's pointless to speculate on the reasons 0.3DL wasn't successful, but please tell me the reasoning of why you can't just keep it in and merge it into the next release. In my opinion, keeping the feature available in 0.3.9 would be the best of both worlds. If your suspicions about 0.3DL are true, then adoption for it in 0.3.9 will stagnate. If they're wrong, then everyone is happy and there's far greater potential for servers to improve.

So... what do you have to lose by merging it into 0.3.9?
Old 30/10/2019, 05:24 PM   #363
irani
Little Clucker

Quote:
I think the reason something like this comes up is because Y Less and co are going to try and justify stealing everything from sa-mp based on a few contributions 11 years ago, which is why his contributions need to be removed.
No? it's because you already mentioned removal of these parts, no one ever talked about this before

No matter what, they are his lines of code, date doesn't matter, age doesn't matter, so why you keep using this phrase contributions from 11 years ago?

I'm not taking anyone's side, what I prefer at this moment with everything you said is rewriting those parts, even if it means one line of code, even if he contributed to a system that changed a lot but you can still see his parts.

Hope everything gets better.
Old 30/10/2019, 05:29 PM   #364
dkluin
Little Clucker

Quote:
I'm removing CreateMenu and associated functions from 0.3.9 and future versions because it was added by Y Less and I'd like to eventually remove everything contributed by him.

I haven't come across a server in the last 10 years that uses GTA:SA menus.
Will there be at least be a more 'modern' alternative available such as ImGui? I'm even willing to help with that should you need it.
Old 30/10/2019, 05:31 PM   #365
niCe
Huge Clucker

I've tried to gather some feedback on DL also from players on our servers, as from what I have seen the most server owners would appreciate the DL feature. But I thought maybe feedback from the players could be more valuable. Players on our servers could have already seen the benefits of DL on our DL server in action.

The poll question was:

Quote:
Would you like to see custom downloadable object models and skins in the next SA-MP release?

The downloadable object models and skins are currently featured in beta version SA-MP 0.3.DL. When players connect to the server, the client will automatically download object models and skins for them, which might take few minutes (only for the first time, next time objects won't download again). The custom object models and skins enable server owners to add more features to their servers.
Yes - 193 votes (86.5%)
I don't know - 14 votes (6.3%)
Rather yes - 8 votes (3.6%)
No - 6 votes (2.7%)
Rather no - 2 votes (0.9%)

- Pool, basketball, golf, Poker Texas Holdem, races and other minigames
- Video game QUB3D
- Roulette, blackjack, slots, video poker and horse-betting
- Stock market BAWSAQ
- Organizations and offices
- Missions from Big Smoke, Sweet, Zero, Cesar or Woozie!
- Gang wars
- More than 30 jobs (police, paramedic, firefighter, burglar, pimp, valet, pizza-boy and more)
- Gyms, strip clubs, clothes shops, hidden packages, oysters, spray tags, horseshoes and more
Watch the TRAILER
Servers are hosted at Evolution Host
Old 30/10/2019, 05:32 PM   #366
Kalcor
SA-MP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irani View Post
so why you keep using this phrase contributions from 11 years ago?
Because things change over time. Y Less may have done something with the virtual world system in 0.2, but by 2008 sa-mp has server-side streaming and it's not the same system.

so who gets credit for doing vworlds in sa-mp? for 0.2, Y less. for 0.3+, I would say me.

edit:

None of this can properly be discussed without going back to what Y Less posted before he was banned. But basically he denied I had any rights to anything related to sa-mp and was merely a founder, thus they can create "open sa-mp" without my permission.
Old 30/10/2019, 05:34 PM   #367
OstGot
Gangsta

I really wonder who will play on 0.3.9 in this case
No one server developer will regard the arguments above and simply stay 0.3.7 or DL because of hopelessness when he sees that when switching to a new version he doesn't gain new functionality but only loses it. In the meantime, the SA-MP will again be split into another version and the developer will again complain that he receives little feedback due to its "loss of popularity".
Nexius's Update Checker
Old 30/10/2019, 05:37 PM   #368
LocMax
Huge Clucker

Considering this is most likely a last bigger update for SA-MP, could it just be an update that would unite the community into a single preferred version with the features people here by a large margin wish to have and with the necessary fixes / improvements, without the cons outweighing the pros (which would be removal of massively used functions such as SetTimerEx, CRF, ...)

Perhaps just a poll about what would people prefer the next version to deliver, if a merge with DL, or not, and so on
Old 30/10/2019, 05:39 PM   #369
K4r
Little Clucker

Quote:
Because things change over time. Y Less may have done something with the virtual world system in 0.2, but by 2008 sa-mp has server-side streaming and it's not the same system.

so who gets credit for doing vworlds in sa-mp? for 0.2, Y less. for 0.3+, I would say me.

edit:

None of this can properly be discussed without going back to what Y Less posted before he was banned. But basically he denied I had any rights to anything related to sa-mp and was merely a founder, thus they can create "open sa-mp" without my permission.
Replying to your edit

So wouldnt that require you removing code from jax, spookie, etc and the original developers also so that you have sole proprietorship over the entire samp codebase and its services? Well you can just redo the code but you get me
Old 30/10/2019, 05:41 PM   #370
Kalen
Little Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstGot View Post
I really wonder who will play on 0.3.9 in this case
No one server developer will regard the arguments above and simply stay 0.3.7 or DL because of hopelessness when he sees that when switching to a new version he doesn't gain new functionality but only loses it. In the meantime, the SA-MP will again be split into another version and the developer will again complain that he receives little feedback due to its "loss of popularity".
Sometimes a serious update means losing functionality. Like some library for a programming language - when developers update something and it requires users to rewrite their projects a bit. I don't know what's going on here, I don't even have my own sa-mp server, but that's probably what you all should expect when a serious sa-mp update is about to release.
Closed Thread