SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help > Discussion

Old 05/07/2012, 04:58 PM   #11
MadeMan
High-roller

Default Re: Gamemode Script Layout

The layout I'm trying to keep in my scripts:

Includes
Defines
Macros
Variables/Enums
Stock functions
Regular functions
Public functions
Callbacks

Reason: before you can use a variable/function, you need to define it. I find it logical that definitions come before parts that use them. Callbacks use functions, functions use variables and variable definitions require defines (#define).

And it makes searching for definitions easier: go to top of the script (Ctrl + Home), use search (Ctrl + F) and the first result is the definition.
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 03:25 PM   #12
AndreT
Gangsta

What a nice topic to discuss on!

Calling my server a large project would be an exaggeration, but I do follow the same fashion of having separate files. To be more precise, 15 of them. I started doing this in 2010 and I also converted an old mode of mine to use several files.

To whoever this might look difficult to handle... stop using Notepad to script! (or Pawno, quite the equivalent). Use Notepad++ instead, it offers a very convenient way of handling files. And I believe that at least a few of the many plugins assist programmers in creating directory structures even more. Following Slice's tutorial, Notepad++ can also instruct the compiler to compile your code.

The benefits from doing this are immense. A good naming convention for your gamemode files will instantly make you aware of what is where and even with quite a lot of files containing PAWN code, I can still remember the location of certain functions quite well, or at least I have an idea of whether they're positioned in the lower/upper part of the SFSE_*.pwn file. Libraries and methods introduced by Zeex (zcmd) and whoever thought of handling dialogs in a similar way have made things even more convenient, as commands, MySQL result callbacks and much more can be shared between files, so the gamemode is categorized nicely. Writing new code for your mode is easy as well, as the more code unrelated code is in your currently operated file, the more distracted you will most likely get.

And for the record, there's not a problem with getting the location of an error unlike someone pointed out.

So multiple files... good idea!
AndreT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Finn
High-roller

I must disagree with you guys about spreading the gamemode into separate files.

I am using 20 includes + couple of filterscripts, so splitting up the code even more would make the gamemode look like it was blown up. I don't have any opinion regarding color defines and shit like that placed in their own files, because I don't really have too many of them laying around.

I like the idea of having "visual code" (aka the gamemode) in 1 single file and the systems which 'run' the gamemode and offer handy functions in their own include files. Also I'm grouping up the code so the related functions, timers, commands and such are in the same section of the gamemode making it very easy to edit the system which is under development or being fixed.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Lorenc_
High-roller

I just add my core gamemode functions inside its own include.

includes
defines
enums
variables
forwards
main(){}
publics
commands (replaced OnPlayerCommandText with OnPlayerCommandPerformed, so...)
other publics
functions
sql dump at the bottom

Lorenc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 06:01 PM   #15
ReneG
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreT View Post
What a nice topic to discuss on!

Calling my server a large project would be an exaggeration, but I do follow the same fashion of having separate files. To be more precise, 15 of them. I started doing this in 2010 and I also converted an old mode of mine to use several files.

To whoever this might look difficult to handle... stop using Notepad to script! (or Pawno, quite the equivalent). Use Notepad++ instead, it offers a very convenient way of handling files. And I believe that at least a few of the many plugins assist programmers in creating directory structures even more. Following Slice's tutorial, Notepad++ can also instruct the compiler to compile your code.

The benefits from doing this are immense. A good naming convention for your gamemode files will instantly make you aware of what is where and even with quite a lot of files containing PAWN code, I can still remember the location of certain functions quite well, or at least I have an idea of whether they're positioned in the lower/upper part of the SFSE_*.pwn file. Libraries and methods introduced by Zeex (zcmd) and whoever thought of handling dialogs in a similar way have made things even more convenient, as commands, MySQL result callbacks and much more can be shared between files, so the gamemode is categorized nicely. Writing new code for your mode is easy as well, as the more code unrelated code is in your currently operated file, the more distracted you will most likely get.

And for the record, there's not a problem with getting the location of an error unlike someone pointed out.

So multiple files... good idea!
It gets glitchy when you have multiple files open I guess

I was working in an include using notepad++ and had a couple of errors when I compiled. I fixed them and hit ctrl+s to save. Then when I went to Pawno to compile, and it wouldn't recognize that I've updated the include.
ReneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 11:19 PM   #16
Y_Less
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDunn View Post
It gets glitchy when you have multiple files open I guess

I was working in an include using notepad++ and had a couple of errors when I compiled. I fixed them and hit ctrl+s to save. Then when I went to Pawno to compile, and it wouldn't recognize that I've updated the include.
That has never happened to me ever, in MANY years of coding!
Y_Less is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2012, 11:22 PM   #17
DeathTone
Big Clucker

Includes
Defines
Variables
Enums
Callbacks
Public timers
Custom Callbacks
ZCMD Commands
Mysql functions
Stock functions

but it gets EXTREAMLY messy sometimes, too much clutter, so I think i'll just add all my important defines and stocks, central stuff (such as small but important player variables), into one include to make it much easier to read and edit stuff.
DeathTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 01:37 AM   #18
MP2
Godfather

Well I've decided to do a bit of both. I'm still going to have a lot of stuff in the gamemode but some 'systems' will be in files such as the ammunation script. I don't like the idea of having a million files. To me it's like taking 5 shopping lists in to a supermarket - each one has a different 'category' of food or something. It's simpler to just have 1.
MP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 02:42 AM   #19
JoBullet
Big Clucker

Look up PAWN-Boilerplate project by Slice for solid script layout.
JoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/07/2012, 02:53 AM   #20
MP2
Godfather

Yeah I know about that.
MP2 is offline   Reply With Quote