SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help

Old 10/05/2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Jakku
High-roller

Default Re: dINI vs MySql

Not sure how many times this has been said but if you have any knowledge of PHP, MySQL is not the only option to create a web-based user control panel
Old 10/05/2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Vince
Spam Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativityLacker View Post
Takes up too much space (You need to install some database manager like XAMP or WAMP before you can start using MySQL)
Get your facts straight. The MySQL server can be downloaded as a stand-alone application. You don't need Apache. You can even administer the entire MySQL server using the command line if you'd like to. You can also download a stand-alone client here.
Old 10/05/2013, 08:20 PM   #13
Nostrum
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativityLacker View Post
I really don't understand why people only talk about MySQL?
MySQL is NOT SOMETHING that a beginner file-writer should start with!

You don't even NEED MySQL for SA-MP, I find it way stupid that people prefer MySQL over EVERYTHING.

MySQL is a database system made for HEAVY business management. And trust me, I only see supermarket's or huge corporate companies using MySQL for data storage.

Reasons why I hate MySQL -
Complex
Hard to set up
Takes up too much space (You need to install some database manager like XAMP or WAMP before you can start using MySQL)

Then what to use? SQLite is the answer.

SQLite is INBUILT in SA-MP, and is MUCH easier to manage.

No plugin, no password or etc. Just PLUG-N-PLAY!

You just need a 6MB SQLite database manager which can be downloaded from anywhere.

Why SQLite?
Easier to set up
Does not consume much space
Easier to manage
Probably one of the FASTEST system's out there (MySQL and SQLite run closely same, except I prefer to believe that SQLite is faster as it doesn't require plugins, and doesn't use stuff like WAMP or XAMP, and the language is much easier to manage, even though it doesn't offer the same features)
Less features, mainly aimed at what we're really going to be using (MySQL has stuff you'll NEVER EVER need if you're going to be creating simple gamemode's)
Easier to debug and fix (I've had problems mainly setting up the database itself, so I never actually properly used MySQL)

MySQL - something I'd prefer for bad-ass management with heavy protection and etc.
SQLite - something for general SA-MP coding or game coding.

You're not going to be managing millions/billions of user accounts at the same time. SA-MP has a number of maximum slots as 1000 (500 in other cases), so why use MySQL?

And just in case you want simpler file systems, go for Y_INI or SII, since you're not going to be around with it so long, efficiency doesn't matter as long as you don't plan to stick to that shit.
Hehe, lol. Thanks for clearing things out in a funny way.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2013, 08:34 PM   #14
CreativityLacker
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Get your facts straight. The MySQL server can be downloaded as a stand-alone application. You don't need Apache. You can even administer the entire MySQL server using the command line if you'd like to. You can also download a stand-alone client here.
Worked with it, I do my sister's project on that command-line thingy's for MySQL all time.
My point still remains firm, you don't need MySQL for SA-MP.

Yea, it CAN be downloaded as a standalone application, but, for SA-MP, is that possible?
91.121.153.202:7778 or resur.cod5samp.com:7778
CreativityLacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2013, 10:54 PM   #15
CJay9209
Huge Clucker

lol same old argument - different faces

OK so his question what is better and the answer is - IT DEPENDS

If ur fairly new to scripting and ur not gonna be calling on ur read/write routines every milisecond etc, then MySQL is quite frankly ridiculous. even SQLite is a little heavy handed for just that.

I love how people go on about server load like they actually know what they are talking about. using MySQL for a simple user CP is one of the most ass n eye ideas imaginable ESPECIALLY since the person in question is new to coding. I've been around since dini was invented and started using it then - yes its obsolete but it's a good starting point - if u want up-to-date go with Y_INI. For SIMPLE applications it is by far the better choice because lets be honest - we're not talking about an old bitch of a computer with no power here. Arguing over the % increase in speed of using SQL over local file writing at the level of 6 variables per sequence is stupid and i really am fed up hearing this argument.

ALSO what people seem to forget is that alot of the time, MySQL is implemented very poorly in sa-mp which means that its rather linear and not threaded like it could be due to limitations in the pawn language. these can be overcome with plugins and clever scripting but again - thats difficult and a complete waste of time for a system that doesn't have multiple thousands of players in the database.

SO BASICALLY, in answer to the original post... for what you are doing it is much easier to use simple file writing as u don't need to learn SQL or debug it quite as rigorously when something messes up. I would suggest perhaps looking into the native file writing functions in pawno and looking at how other people do them. Y_INI is still faster than my own code but i have a custom built file system in my GM's and Includes which does EXACTLY what i want without skirting around the edges of other people's code. I'd start with Y_INI and if ur happy with it stick with it. MySQL is completely unnecessary...

and queue the flame-fest lol