SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Server > Server Support

Old 14/05/2019, 05:36 AM   #1
DeitY
Huge Clucker

Default Newer CPU & higher lags on large player base

Hi,

Can someone possibly explain to me how does i7 4790k perform better then i7 7700k?

Long story short i was hosting on OVH i7 4790k @ ubuntu 14, and the server was working flawlessly. When there was >900 players, lag was present yes but it was undetectable to be honest.

Now i have upgraded to i7 7700k, on Centos 7, and the server stability is so much worse, lag has increased almost double, tick rate is increased to 40 but lag is still present. By the time i switched to i7 7700k, i have made so much optimizations in gamemode, removed around 60-70k objects, limited many timers, removed many unnecessary stuff, upgraded to latest plugins, made draw distance / stream distance optimization, i don't have onplayerupdate ( only wc-config) and the server stability is still the same. Profiler for example has 3 days up-time report showing normal usage of all functions, with 5% highest usage of our anticheat. ( worst wait time also )

Can someone who has such experience guide me on tweaking this settings or at-least sacrificing a little quality for lower cpu usage?

onfoot_rate
incar_rate
weapon_rate

I have tried with 30.0, but the sync quality is worse, 50.0 and its a little better.. stream_distance is 200.0, with streamer_rate of 4000.

I have also tried that respawn time cheat-sheet to from https://forum.sa-mp.com/showthread.php?t=334525 and no luck...

Can also someone clarify sleep option, should i change it? Will making it 10 destroy my sync quality?

sleep -> the time in milliseconds the main sa-mp and raknet networking thread will "sleep" idly during each sync cycle. Higher values decreases server processing, but reduces sync quality. Lower values increases server processing, but improves sync quality. It is not advisable to change this value unless your player count is very high and you have server fps stability issues.

I'm willing to pay for solution as i'm basically running out of options, and retarded OVH removed i7 4790k from game dedicated servers, so that solutions goes into waters. Also i can't "play" with such settings as i have high player base count and restarting every 5-10 hours is not an solution..

I assume tweaking such settings from server.cfg should at least make similar performance to the one i had on i7 4790k.

Are there some linux kernel stuff / unnecessary things which are eating / assigning resources wrongly or just samp doesn't like new processors? I recall Kalcor saying such as : The SA-MP server might use slightly more CPU on linux. There are several reasons for this, but the biggest factor is that most current linux kernels have high-res timer kernel module loaded, which means thread sleep cycles are very accurate.

DeitY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/05/2019, 03:19 PM   #2
dugi
Beta Tester

Default Re: Newer CPU & higher lags on large player base

You need to monitor your servers tick rate, 40 is definitely a really low value and lag will be noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeitY View Post
Hi,
Now i have upgraded to i7 7700k, on Centos 7, and the server stability is so much worse, lag has increased almost double, tick rate is increased to 40 but lag is still present.
If the tick rate increased on a new CPU it's a good thing, because the higher the value the better is the performance.

7700k is definitely more powerful than 4790k.

Last edited by dugi; 14/05/2019 at 03:53 PM.
dugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/05/2019, 06:09 PM   #3
DeitY
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugi View Post
You need to monitor your servers tick rate, 40 is definitely a really low value and lag will be noticeable.

If the tick rate increased on a new CPU it's a good thing, because the higher the value the better is the performance.

7700k is definitely more powerful than 4790k.
40 tick rate on 950 players online at the moment, i'm not sure if its ( on my side possible ) to have more tick on such player base. I have seen topics where people on 500 player base had around 90 tick and it was considered good ;/

The thing is i7 4790k had lower tick but almost undetectable lag, while new cpu has higher tick but has lags and NOTICEABLE ones .

do you have any knowledge about sleep, can i sacrifice quality for that thing?

Old 14/05/2019, 06:41 PM   #4
DeitY
Huge Clucker

Just an quick tip: If i put sleep to 0, tickrate goes to 60 but cpu usage goes to 140%, while if i put sleep to 30 cpu usage goes to 70% but tickrate is barely 10, so that options goes out of way..

Old 14/05/2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Ksenon
Little Clucker

I have the same issue, the only difference is the fact that i'm currently using an i7 3700 (at 1000 players tickrate is ~60-80) and it is 'playable'.
When i switched to a newer gen cpu (6700K, 7700K) the tickrate increased (it was like 100 at 1000 players online) but it was unplayable.
-------------
Shortly, the server performs better on an old cpu (with small tickrate) than on a new gen cpu (with high tickrate).

A think it has something related to CPU instructions and the fact that the samp server is compiled with some old compiler.

--------
Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.
Old 14/05/2019, 07:34 PM   #6
KeyOfKey
Big Clucker

Just for curiosity, what's the server?
KeyOfKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/05/2019, 07:36 PM   #7
DeitY
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenon View Post
I have the same issue, the only difference is the fact that i'm currently using an i7 3700 (at 1000 players tickrate is ~60-80) and it is 'playable'.
When i switched to a newer gen cpu (6700K, 7700K) the tickrate increased (it was like 100 at 1000 players online) but it was unplayable.
-------------
Shortly, the server performs better on an old cpu (with small tickrate) than on a new gen cpu (with high tickrate).

A think it has something related to CPU instructions and the fact that the samp server is compiled with some old compiler.

--------
Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.
Ah, so you have same problem ;/ . Currently there is 960 players, and for example if i teleport to an unstreamed location, while loding delay on commands/map loading is really huge , even tickrate is fine but still the delay is killing game play and players are basically "teleporting" while it loads... I'm gonna try reducing Streamer_DD from 0 to 200.0 and try lowering stream distance but not sure if i will help. Basically i double checked everything, tickrate, max visibleitems, distances, sleep, no luck except to search for lower cpu model from ovh..

@KeyofKey its an RP/RPG server, has a lot systems and maps but they are quite optimized.

Old 15/05/2019, 07:19 AM   #8
CONTROLA
Huge Clucker

Please, if you find a solution, post it here. It will greatly help other servers which encounter the same issue (me included)
CONTROLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15/05/2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Autorojo
Little Clucker

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/game-servers/

For the old i7 4970k.
Autorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/05/2019, 11:31 AM   #10
CONTROLA
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorojo View Post
I think he would prefer keeping the same server hosting provider, but fixing the issue. Changing the IP of the server is pretty frustrating for the playerbase.
CONTROLA is online now   Reply With Quote