SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help

Old 11/12/2016, 12:01 AM   #1
BiosMarcel
High-roller

Smile Performance Question , Per Player Timer vs Timer that loops through all players

Hello,

So, i have a Log script, it offers you to log each players location every X seconds. When a player spawns it sets a timer that will log the location of the player and repeat that until he dies or disconnects. I have been wondering what the differences in memory usage and overall performance are if i would use a global timer that loops through all players.Is anyone able to share his/her knowledge, would be great to know.

And if anyone wonders why i don't test it myself, i can't, because i ain't got no players to test it with D:

greetings Marcel
Old 11/12/2016, 12:24 AM   #2
vassilis
High-roller

Default Re: Performance Question , Per Player Timer vs Timer that loops through all players

Per player timer will be created at your will which means it will be created at login/register(?) and killed at disconnect(?). A global timer will have to do a check to see if there is any player online and then if he is not dead and if he is registered/logged(?) so it really use any performance data already to make checking.( not really extreme waste but whatever). I may be wrong.
vassilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2016, 12:28 AM   #3
BiosMarcel
High-roller

Default Re: Performance Question , Per Player Timer vs Timer that loops through all players

Yeah that is right, but i was wondering how much just the running of the timer matters, let us say there is 1000 player timers running, doesn't that affect the server (ast least the memory consumption??)?
Old 11/12/2016, 12:30 AM   #4
vassilis
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Bios]Marcel View Post
Yeah that is right, but i was wondering how much just the running of the timer matters, let us say there is 1000 player timers running, doesn't that affect the server (ast least the memory consumption??)?
It doesn't really depends on how many timers you have but how often you use it I mean if you have 1000 timers that are used every 1 second then good luck.BOOM.
Old 11/12/2016, 12:31 AM   #5
BiosMarcel
High-roller

Well, that's exactly why i am worried
Old 11/12/2016, 12:38 AM   #6
vassilis
High-roller

Quote:
Well, that's exactly why i am worried
Also do not forget that if you make a global timer it MUST be killed when server closes until next restart. So imagine already how much damage you can done with one global timer that checks every 2 seconds without any reason(no player online?/everyone is dead?/no one registered-logged?). At least per player will be killed everytime player disconnects so its more efficient.
Old 11/12/2016, 12:40 AM   #7
BiosMarcel
High-roller

I don't really get what you mean, the tiemr doesn't live longer than the server does, ofcause.
And running isn't really a problem, because if there is no players anyways, no one will need the servers power.
But what actually might be an interesting idea, is switching from per player timers to a global timer when a certain amount of online players ahs been reached, so i could balance it.
Old 11/12/2016, 12:44 AM   #8
vassilis
High-roller

Quote:
I don't really get what you mean, the tiemr doesn't live longer than the server does, ofcause.
And running isn't really a problem, because if there is no players anyways, no one will need the servers power.
But what actually might be an interesting idea, is switching from per player timers to a global timer when a certain amount of online players ahs been reached, so i could balance it.
Tell me how you will check if any player is online to use a global timer? YOU WILL NEED ANOTHER TIMER ALREADY or use the same one to check is anyone is online. So both ways you will use timer for no reason if there is no player online.
Old 11/12/2016, 12:54 AM   #9
BiosMarcel
High-roller

Pretty easy, no timer needed

PHP Code:
new players 0;

onConnnect()
{

players++;
}

onDisconnect()
{

players--;

anyways, i'd still like to hear a professional opinion, no offense
Old 11/12/2016, 01:16 AM   #10
vassilis
High-roller

Quote:
Pretty easy, no timer needed

PHP Code:
new players 0;

onConnnect()
{

players++;
}

onDisconnect()
{

players--;

anyways, i'd still like to hear a professional opinion, no offense
That is a very amateur way. Anyway, since you need a professional answer. Your answer is Per player Timer.
Global timer will take time to execute FOR ALL PLAYERS and it night cause sync problem. Per player timers are smaller chopped timers so it will reduce sync problems. However, there are more posts like yours on forums and you should check them
Apologizing for writing in a hurry but I am from phone.
Hope I helped cheers.