SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > Client Support

Old 29/01/2020, 05:17 PM   #1
DrTylerO
Little Clucker

Lightbulb [HOW TO] Play SA-MP on Linux

After fiddling with this for a few days I have finally found a working method of playing SA-MP on Linux.

I'm posting this here because I don't want other people to have to deal with the same issues that I did.

It should be said that I have only tested this on Ubuntu 18.04 but the process is fairly standard and I believe
that it should work on a fair few distros if you follow the process properly and know your way around your specific distro.

It should also be noted that I am using the Steam version of GTA: San Andreas here but I believe you should
be able to achieve the same results regardless of your install method.

Prerequisites
  • You have installed WINE
  • You have a patched gta_sa.exe
  • You have the latest SA-MP installer downloaded

Finally, before we begin the installation process, there was one issue that I came across that needs to be addressed before we proceed.
When installed through Steam, the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas folder is located in a hidden folder in your home directory.
The reason this is an issue is because the SA-MP installer cannot see these hidden folders so we need to create a link to our Steam game install directory
(which is the folder called common for those of you who may not know). The way we do this is to use the ln command:

Code:
ln -s ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common ~/Desktop/Common
This command essentially creates a shortcut to the common folder and places it on your desktop.
I've chosen the Desktop here for the sake of simplicity but it would be more appropriate to place it in
your Documents folder or somewhere else that it can stay because the SA-MP application will always reference
this shortcut to launch the game.

Note: Make a backup of your Grand Theft Auto San Andreas folder before you begin this process
incase you mess up or it doesn't work properly that way you don't have to reinstall the whole game.

Installation
  1. In the San Andreas root directory, replace the original gta-sa.exe with the patched gta_sa.exe
  2. Wherever you have your SA-MP install executable, open a terminal and run this command to launch the installer
    Code:
    wine sa-mp-0.3.7-R4-install.exe
  3. Follow the prompts until you get to the Choose Install Location section. Click browse and find the shortcut to the Common folder we created earlier.

4. Click the + button to expand the folder

5. Select your Grand Theft Auto San Andreas folder from the list and click the OK button.

The installer should proceed with copying all of the files to your San Andreas root directory. Wait until this is finished.
  6. Before we proceed we need to launch SA-MP and join a server at least once so that it will generate the necessary files and folders. Navigate to your Grand Theft Auto San Andreas folder, open the directory in a terminal, and type this command.

Code:
    wine samp.exe
    This will launch SA-MP. It may ask for the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas install directory. If it does then just point it to the same folder that we did in the installation process.

When you connect to a server the first time, if your chat and menus work properly then you can safely ignore the last part of the guide but if they are broken you need to close your game and continue with the last few steps below.
  7. Assuming that your chat and menus are broken, we just need to edit the sa-mp.cfg file to fix an issue with the chat and menus not working properly. For me it is located in

Code:
    ~/Documents/GTA San Andreas User Files/SAMP
  8. Inside this folder you should find sa-mp.cfg. Open the file in a text editor and add this line to the end

Code:
    directmode=1
    According to https://wiki.sa-mp.com/wiki/Sa-mp.cfg:

Afterward it should look something like this:

Note: Don't forget to save the file.

Final Notes

The server in the screenshot is the one I'm on most often so if you play there I'll probably see you around.

I hope that I've been able to help some Linux users with this post.

Feel free to ask questions regarding this process and I'll try my best to respond but I won't be on here 24/7.

If this has helped you, I would appreciate it if you would send me a message and let me know. I'm always happy
to know that I've helped someone even if it's something minor like this.

Last edited by DrTylerO; 03/02/2020 at 11:26 PM.
DrTylerO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29/01/2020, 05:22 PM   #2
DrTylerO
Little Clucker

Default Re: [HOW TO] Play SA-MP on Linux

Reserved
DrTylerO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21/03/2020, 11:58 PM   #3
neuspeed
Little Clucker

This is interesting, as I am currently having an issue on Mac.

I have a retail version of the game for Windows and have managed to transfer the disc contents onto Mac via making an .iSO file. I install the game perfectly fine via CrossOver and SA:MP also installs perfectly fine.

Now when choosing to connect to a server, the game begins to launch however I'm hit with a "Please insert CD/DVD" message.

I have already tried using the 'No CD .exe' files from numerous websites to help see if that works. This enables the game to run with no issues in Single Player Mode, but when trying to launch the game from SA:MP, I receive an error it's crashed.

How can I get SA:MP to run and bypass this very annoying "Please insert CD/DVD" error.

Thanks!
neuspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/03/2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Freaksken
Gangsta

One other thing that's important to mention if you're new to Linux, is to enable the appropriate graphics drivers. My game was stuttering all the time, until I realized that the game was running on the integrated GPU (the one inside the CPU). Since I have a dedicated Nvidia GPU, I installed the Nvidia graphics drivers and the issue was fixed.

[Include] FCNPC A.I. - [Tutorial] Speedometer - [WIP] Single-player-like co-op mission - [Other] List of all my work
Freaksken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2020, 10:52 PM   #5
Opyx
Little Clucker

I can't press this button, it doesn't be pressable, green color.

EDIT: Fixed, double click to the server name for first time, it will be fixed.

Last edited by Opyx; 05/06/2020 at 09:45 AM.
Opyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2020, 08:58 PM   #6
AgusZ
Big Clucker

Some dialogs are error, how to solve this? Running on Ubuntu
AgusZ is offline   Reply With Quote