SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help

Old 29/03/2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Adamoneoone
Huge Clucker

Default Max enum size / big enums drawbacks?

Hello everyone, i'm using an enum which stores a lot of player data, and It's slowly beginning to go above the 50 elements mark, and this number will be steadily raising towards 100 (certainly more later on) and I'm wondering whether this will have some performance issues, as I don't really want to make several enums with different player info variables, I think it'll get really messy in a short amount of time with having such a structure for instance
pawn Code:
enum_1:
{
     bla...
};

enum_2:
{
     bla...
};

enum_3:
{
     bla...
};

new pInfo1[MAX_PLAYERS][enum_1];
new pInfo2[MAX_PLAYERS][enum_2];

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Adamoneoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29/03/2020, 11:35 AM   #2
YouShootIDodge
Big Clucker

Default Re: Max enum size / big enums drawbacks?

The more enums you create, the more arrays you will use which ofc uses alot of data, even the empty array having the size of MAX_PLAYERS is memory consuming, so it's better if you use a single enum in this case.

EDIT: I'm not sure but as far as i know, an array with a size of MAX_PLAYERS, let's say 1000 and a 2nd dimension with a size of 100 (number of elements in enum) will have the same effect as 1000x100 variables.
YouShootIDodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29/03/2020, 12:00 PM   #3
Calisthenics
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShootIDodge View Post
The more enums you create, the more arrays you will use which ofc uses alot of data, even the empty array having the size of MAX_PLAYERS is memory consuming, so it's better if you use a single enum in this case.
No.

Many items in enumerators, huge scripts, timers with a lot of code unrelated to each other, huge queries that update EVERYTHING even when they never changed. They are not better, they are worse. Split them when you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamoneoone View Post
as I don't really want to make several enums with different player info variables, I think it'll get really messy in a short amount of time with having such a structure for instance
Create helper functions to set/get values.

Last edited by Calisthenics; 29/03/2020 at 12:51 PM.
Calisthenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29/03/2020, 12:57 PM   #4
DRIFT_HUNTER
High-roller

Well big enums should not have impact on performance. It doesnt matter if you add some variable in array or as single variable (not for performance).

The only potential drawback could be memory allocation since enums are used in arrays, but if you hit that problem then it means you have run out of RAM.
DRIFT_HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote