SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > Other > Everything and Nothing

Old 20/09/2016, 01:01 PM   #21
Duck
Gangsta

Default Re: Your servers, specifications and what you run?

I have a bunch of DigitalOcean droplets for hosting client websites and other services, the smaller 512MB ones.

For bigger projects I use AWS, for example a lot of my stuff runs on Lambda to handle authentication events and such. I use their CDN for content delivery, the file server stores stuff on EBS, with older unused files being stored on Glacier. For database stuff, I run AWS's DynamoDB that works with Lambda to handle CRUD events. Caching goes through ElastiCache running Redis. The whole stack is inside it's own VPC and I can copy the stack over to a new VPC when I need to deploy another large scale app without having to set things up all over again.

A problem I have with this is the latency between nodes, it hurts your DB intensive operations. It's still very nice to be prepared for anything. Getting DDoSed? Yeah, no problem, AWS infrastructure is basically invulnerable by design. You need to get through Route53, WAF and the CDN and even then you've only hit the VPC which is a ton of servers all hiding behind a load balancer that will automatically create new EC2 instances based on the load. Have fun

Another problem is that you can't really scale tall. While I can run a SA:MP server off it if I wanted, that's not what it's designed for. As much as I feel like big dedicated servers are a thing of the past, services/applications that you can't balance wide would still need tall stacks, like SA:MP for example.

I wish there was a proper way to balance load with SA:MP like multithreading or being able to split stuff off, a bit like MongoDB handles sharding but for game servers instead, where every event can be ran off a separate instance.
Old 20/09/2016, 03:46 PM   #22
Sublime
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
I have a bunch of DigitalOcean droplets for hosting client websites and other services, the smaller 512MB ones.

For bigger projects I use AWS, for example a lot of my stuff runs on Lambda to handle authentication events and such. I use their CDN for content delivery, the file server stores stuff on EBS, with older unused files being stored on Glacier. For database stuff, I run AWS's DynamoDB that works with Lambda to handle CRUD events. Caching goes through ElastiCache running Redis. The whole stack is inside it's own VPC and I can copy the stack over to a new VPC when I need to deploy another large scale app without having to set things up all over again.

A problem I have with this is the latency between nodes, it hurts your DB intensive operations. It's still very nice to be prepared for anything. Getting DDoSed? Yeah, no problem, AWS infrastructure is basically invulnerable by design. You need to get through Route53, WAF and the CDN and even then you've only hit the VPC which is a ton of servers all hiding behind a load balancer that will automatically create new EC2 instances based on the load. Have fun

Another problem is that you can't really scale tall. While I can run a SA:MP server off it if I wanted, that's not what it's designed for. As much as I feel like big dedicated servers are a thing of the past, services/applications that you can't balance wide would still need tall stacks, like SA:MP for example.

I wish there was a proper way to balance load with SA:MP like multithreading or being able to split stuff off, a bit like MongoDB handles sharding but for game servers instead, where every event can be ran off a separate instance.
can route53 analyze incoming queries and determine which is malicious and which is authentic? assuming that you have more pocket money, i highly recommend akamai cdn over amazon's cdn if you're interested in not sticking with your IaaS for literally everything
and itsn't dead, Kalcor is having some proplems on his real life so he is busy now and release the new version now so shut your fucking mouse !!!!!!!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20/09/2016, 05:47 PM   #23
Duck
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
can route53 analyze incoming queries and determine which is malicious and which is authentic? assuming that you have more pocket money, i highly recommend akamai cdn over amazon's cdn if you're interested in not sticking with your IaaS for literally everything
I'm not sure, haven't dived into it too much. CloudFront works well enough for us "for now" as we only really need to serve files in US/EU anyway and we prefer the pricing, might consider moving to Akamai later when it's really necessary.
Old 21/09/2016, 06:01 AM   #24
Sublime
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
I'm not sure, haven't dived into it too much. CloudFront works well enough for us "for now" as we only really need to serve files in US/EU anyway and we prefer the pricing, might consider moving to Akamai later when it's really necessary.
akamai is worth the price only when you're doing something like streaming hentai to 5/10k+ users per month
and itsn't dead, Kalcor is having some proplems on his real life so he is busy now and release the new version now so shut your fucking mouse !!!!!!!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote