SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Old 11/02/2017, 06:32 AM   #1
sleejay
Big Clucker

Default RP Server Annoyances

While I might do some light ranting in this thread, I want this to be more of a discussion.

We've all joined a random (new) RP server with the same tried concept of either giving you millions as part of a refund package or making you put hours into jobbing before you have enough money to be the character that you're wanting to portray.

Am I the only one that thinks both methods are wrong? Only on SAMP do you see this system. Go to any other game or forum based roleplay sites for that matter and you're usually facing an application where you describe who and what your character will be and, if accepted, you're free to go on and portray that character. On SAMP, though, if you do an application, you're forced to wait, which is expected but then you're also forced to do even more waiting before you can truly roleplay the character you're wanting, unless, of course you wanna be poor.

Why hasn't anyone tried the way of people filling out a character application explaining what they want to be and then if accepted jumping in game to do just that? Sure, you can argue that you'll always have the folks wanting to be rich. Fine, implement a system designed for them to portray a rich character while never being a rich player. That way they can't destroy your economy by buying everything in sight. Maybe give them the house, the car, some running money and monitor what is done with that money. There's still always going to be the gang, mafia, legal and poor roleplayers just because people enjoy it like some enjoy portraying the rich folk.

I don't know, just something I've gave some thought lately. Any opinions?
sleejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2017, 07:26 AM   #2
morris91
Big Clucker

Default Re: RP Server Annoyances

Red County Roleplay do applications. I never tried joining the server but did try applying once based of a friends suggestion but was sadly declined
morris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 01:20 AM   #3
sleejay
Big Clucker

They do applications to join the server. What I'm talking about is a system that encourages people to get on in and roleplay what they want rather than going through a bunch of grinding and ultimately splitting the playerbase between the ones that have grinded, the ones grinding and the one roleplaying. A server where you can just login and get right to roleplaying with no restraints.
Old 12/02/2017, 02:23 AM   #4
Sew_Sumi
Banned

Refund offering servers, are usually set up by people that didn't get what they want on the main servers, then want to get some players as they have none to start with.

In short there's a high chance they don't even know the rules they put in place in the slightest, hence why they more than likely had problems on the main RP servers.
Sew_Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 03:02 AM   #5
Sublime
High-roller

work your way to the top, what did you expect
and itsn't dead, Kalcor is having some proplems on his real life so he is busy now and release the new version now so shut your fucking mouse !!!!!!!!
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 05:29 AM   #6
DraconianGamer
Big Clucker

I dont see any way of this working without screwing up any chance of a decent economy.
DraconianGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 11:36 AM   #7
vital2k
Huge Clucker

RP servers also have a sense of RPG about them. People find it fun to grind a build up what they have and get a sense of accomplishment from it. In the past we had a very RP orientated script that didn't focus so much on character progression but the actual RP element of it. While it had initial success people slowly trickled off and the only explanation I can see is that they got bored. There's nothing that sticks.
vital2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Codac
Banned

This "issue" with having to grind for hours to portray a character you want to, isn't really an issue at all. Not everyone is born rich, so your character shouldn't be. You can argue that according to the background you roleplay, you'd already have money, but unfortunately that's not a good enough reason for heavy roleplay servers to throw money at you. Try actually roleplaying your character developing and actually putting in the work to get your character where he should be instead of starting your character with a man in his 30's who's already "worked" for his money.
Codac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2017, 08:39 PM   #9
sleejay
Big Clucker

Really, what I was getting at is every other RP community I've went to have either offered refunds which are usually ridiculous or have little to no players and when they do have players, they're all fishing, trucking, etc to try and get money. I understand not everyone is born rich and all that but what I'm saying is, I feel like a lot of these servers need a different approach because refunds have never worked from what I seen and almost no one wants to join a smaller/newer RP community to start all over with the grind yet again even if the script is "unique" or whatever ad they're running for their server.

Basically, I'm saying is refunding/grinding the only way to start off a RP community? I'm a bit bored with my current RP community and was just wanting to hop around and every server I hopped on was either a) refunding, 2) you started with enough money to change your skin and afford a moped, if that, and were forced to grind.
Old 12/02/2017, 10:23 PM   #10
Aerotactics
High-roller

I see your points and I will raise you a "nobody f*cking roleplays" with a side of "everyone is dense".

Roleplay should be about give and take, but nobody wants to take and everyone wants to give.

An example might be a fist fight. How often does the other person loose? Never?

Yes, this isn't about the servers, but it's about the players, which kinda is the servers.

And finally whenever you want to talk to someone like a civilized human being, you usually get a gun in your face, shouting, get robbed, and then get killed.

And then there's sh*thead trolls that roleplay just enough not to get kicked.
Aerotactics is offline   Reply With Quote