Old 17/02/2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Guedes747
High-roller

Default Re: PC Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTailsTheStunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guedes_
Im a noob on informatics, so i might ask alot of dumb questions here...

Question: What is Overcloking? Ive ******d it and i got several results, but nothing conclusive.
Overclocking is pushing the wattage (the amount of power going into the hardware) and the clock rate (how fast the hardware is working).

The equation:
higher wattage + faster clock rate = overclocking
Cheers, ive been reading more carefully about the video cards, i must say it helped me alot because i am thinking on buying a graphic card, thx for the help and nice topic.

Latest release: [MAP]Hillside Raceway
Guedes747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 09:22 PM   #12
Mrkrabz
High-roller

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Im a noob on informatics, so i might ask alot of dumb questions here...

Question: What is Overcloking? Ive ******d it and i got several results, but nothing conclusive.
Overclocking is pushing the wattage (the amount of power going into the hardware) and the clock rate (how fast the hardware is working).

The equation:
higher wattage + faster clock rate = overclocking
Cheers, ive been reading more carefully about the video cards, i must say it helped me alot because i am thinking on buying a graphic card, thx for the help and nice topic.
You should also post about Basic over clocking, But i guess that would be allot of hassle, that's what ****** is for ^^
Mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 09:46 PM   #13
ineoncore
Big Clucker

By the way

If your overClocking some thing on your PC.
Dont do it if you dont even know what is that how it works... and how to use it
unless you want to fuck your pc up

anyways should be /pined really nice topic
ineoncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Grim_
High-roller

Alright, well I just purchased this new laptop, I'm waiting to get my grades up so my parents will give it to me. Here are the specs:
Code:
Brand/Model: Gateway NV series
Operating System: Windows 7 (64-bit)
Processor: AMD Athlon II dual-core M300 (2.0 GHz)
Memory: 4 GB DDR2
Display: 15.6" 
Hard Drive: 500 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics
And some other less-important things. The total was $499.99. I'm wondering, is this a decent deal as well as, how well will this run SA:MP?

Thanks.
Grim_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 09:54 PM   #15
Mrkrabz
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Xerxes_
Alright, well I just purchased this new laptop, I'm waiting to get my grades up so my parents will give it to me. Here are the specs:
Code:
And some other less-important things. The total was $499.99. I'm wondering, is this a decent deal as well as, how well will this run SA:MP?

Thanks.
My laptop is less than that, And it can run it perfectly.
Mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 09:56 PM   #16
RobertGraham
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Xerxes_
Code:

Thanks.
SA-MP will run just fine. It's a decent laptop if that's all you're playing.
RobertGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 10:05 PM   #17
Grim_
High-roller

Alright thanks

I didn't want to get stuck with a horrible laptop again (which I payed twice as much for, and it was awful). I would usually lag on just the plain lvdm gamemode.
Grim_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 10:38 PM   #18
dice7
High-roller

You may need the amd dual core optimizer, since It's reported that SA works at twice as speed on amd dual cores
dice7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17/02/2010, 10:52 PM   #19
SMX
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Q: What is the difference in DDR, DDR2, and DDR3?
A: DDR refers to the series of pins. DDR only has about 184-pins I believe. DDR2 and DDR3 both have 240-pin slots. Now, the complete difference in all of them, is the clock rate and latency. For example, a DDR2 stick of 800MHz, will run faster than a 667MHz DDR2 stick. You will also want to look for latency. 5-5-5-15 is the norm for gaming RAM in DDR2. DDR3 is able to run higher clock rates with more latency. (ie, DDR3 1336MHz 8-8-8-24)
You forgot to mention: for latency, lower is better and the norm for proper DDR2 gaming memory is 4-4-4-12.

Quote:
Q: Do CPU clock rates count for anything?
A: Yes and no. CPU clock rates don't mean anything unless you have a sufficient amount of wattage going to the CPU. Let's say that I want to run an Intel Core 2 Duo, and it is 2.4GHz. The standard wattage for a CPU is about 95w, 45w at the least. Without sufficient power running through the CPU to keep up with your clock rate, your PC will lag. If you are using too much wattage through your CPU, you could blow it. This is why keeping up with wattage in overclocking is important.
Not true, your PC will not lag if the CPU does not get enough power, it will just be very unstable depending on how much power it is lacking, it might not even boot or just crash all the time when it needs to do something that stresses the CPU a bit.
It also puts a lot of stress on the power supply unit so that might die prematurely.

If your PC crashes a lot (hard crashes in this case, blue screens or sudden reboots) you might want to check if your PSU supplies enough power, to do this you can check the voltages in the BIOS and match them against how they are supposed to be, 12v should be around 12v, 5v should be around 5v and 3.3v should match aswell.
If they are more than 10 to 20% less than what they are supposed to be you might want to consider getting a PSU with a higher output, take note that when you are looking at those stats in the BIOS your PC is doing pretty much nothing so when it is under load it would be even worse.

Quote:
Q: What is bottlenecking?
A: Bottlenecking is when your PC gets stress on certain areas of hardware. For example, I am running a 300w power supply, and all my hardware requires AT LEAST a 600w power supply. Bottlenecking usually happens when your power input is less than your power output.
This does not make sense at all.
I would guess you are referring to a bottleneck that stops a game from running faster on your PC.
Well unless you have something software based limiting the game's speed (framerate limiter or VSinc) something will always be bottlenecking it, your PSU however has nothing to do with that.
It can be your CPU, system memory, GPU, the GPU's memory, the PCI-X bus (AGP if you still have that) or some other things I might have missed and if it limits it to 5 or 200 FPS or perhaps more depends on the game/application and your hardware.

Other than that there is some decent information in there.
SMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18/02/2010, 09:51 PM   #20
RobertGraham
Gangsta

Thank you for pointing that out.
RobertGraham is offline   Reply With Quote