SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Scripting and Plugins > Scripting Help

Old 30/06/2020, 03:33 AM   #1
Kucin666
Big Clucker

Question How to get z ground from roof building

Hello guys, I'm trying to get the z position using colandreas / mapandreas with that function, but I only get the z position from the building object, can I get the z ground position like the ground from the roof or the top building? I see Pathfinder can read objects, but is it for npc? thank you
Old 30/06/2020, 01:48 PM   #2
NaS
High-roller

Default Re: How to get z ground from roof building

The collision data does not contain info whether or not a surface is ground or building. Even the pathfinder doesn't know what's the actual ground or top of a building, it just detects height differences that NPCs cannot move over/through.

One way to detect the actual ground would be using path data (Ped Nodes and Vehicle Nodes are only placed on the ground) or the object model (by getting the model's category, for example building/lamp post/road). But that is not 100% accurate either and you would need to gather most of the data yourself I think.
NaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2020, 04:47 AM   #3
Kucin666
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaS View Post
The collision data does not contain info whether or not a surface is ground or building. Even the pathfinder doesn't know what's the actual ground or top of a building, it just detects height differences that NPCs cannot move over/through.

One way to detect the actual ground would be using path data (Ped Nodes and Vehicle Nodes are only placed on the ground) or the object model (by getting the model's category, for example building/lamp post/road). But that is not 100% accurate either and you would need to gather most of the data yourself I think.
I have thought if using Pathfinder, the roof position is obtained when the Z position decreases dramatically with a short distance, but I still don't know about it and need to see about pathfinder, but maybe I can use path data but maybe not easy and there is a combination, because every place has a difference, thank you for your advice
Old 01/07/2020, 07:30 PM   #4
NaS
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kucin666 View Post
I have thought if using Pathfinder, the roof position is obtained when the Z position decreases dramatically with a short distance, but I still don't know about it and need to see about pathfinder, but maybe I can use path data but maybe not easy and there is a combination, because every place has a difference, thank you for your advice
Technically that is correct, but it applies to other structures as well (for example a brigde or hill over a road). So the Z difference alone is not a sufficient criteria I think.

For a start you could use the path data from FCNPC to get valid spawn positions for NPCs on roads, so they would at least begin in proper positions (and not spawn somewhere on a roof or similar). Using the correct functions and logic with ColAndreas makes this already quite effective, for example by avoiding large structures and too steep surface angles (CA_RayCastLineAngle) you can have the NPCs almost always in valid positions when freely roaming (not sure what you use the NPCs for, I assume zombie-like roaming around the map).
NaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2020, 07:55 PM   #5
DRIFT_HUNTER
High-roller

Reuse last coordinates, increase Z for ~2.0 and run it from that height downwards on new coordinates. That is what i did to enable NPC's to walk inside tunnels and under the bridges. Also MTA has a good array with landmasses, road's and buildings, if you use that it will probably cover 90% of your uses and only leave some edge cases.
DRIFT_HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote