SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Old 02/04/2020, 03:47 PM   #1
TechLunatic
Little Clucker

Wink Best way to learn Pawn Scripting?

Hey guys,
What is the best way to learn Pawn Scripting?
Share with me your pawn learning journey
PM me on discord: TL-Lawliet#1393

TechLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Calisthenics
High-roller

Default Re: Best way to learn Pawn Scripting?

• Pawn Language Guide
  • Wiki - Functions/callbacks: description about parameters, return values, things to be aware of (that cause crashes or other important information)
  • Search engines - Always search on internet about errors/warnings you receive from compiler and find why it was given and how to fix them. Understand them so next time you will not need to ask or search again. You can also find discussion threads about how to code certain things if you are unsure how to start.
  • Tutorials - Always read the comments beforehand to know if the tutorial is well explained, does not contain false information or it is not extremely outdated.
  • Trial and error - If you never write code and test, you will not gain experience and actually learn.
  • Other scripts - Be very cautious about this. Reading and/or editing heavily outdated scripts with bad habits will only give you bad habits. People still use workarounds and functions written for older samp versions (even 0.1 version, 15 years ago) just because the gamemode they learned from used them without understanding why.
Old 02/04/2020, 05:09 PM   #3
AjaxM
Big Clucker

I'd tell you whatever you are thinking of doing, start by scratch. Never rip off a gamemode from online and trying to edit stuffs. To learn, you should create the scripts by yourself. You will learn a lot faster. However, you may take reference from other gamemodes but do not use the particular gamemode for your script development. Start by yourself. Even though, the script will be buggy, try working around, fixing, debugging and testing the script in-game till the script works perfectly fine. You will never learn it all at once. You will learn throughout the process and you yourself will improvise on your scripting techniques. Also, when starting off, use updated plugins and not outdated ones, for instance use MySQL instead of Dini. That's one mistake I made when starting off this journey, I was using all the outdated includes and plugins. My script was all buggy and slow, thus I took the initiative to learn MySQL which was so much better. However, I would consider it a good mistake because I learned at each steps. Also, I'd advise you to create scripts and release it here so that you can get reviews on your script and others would correct your mistakes. It's a good way to know your mistakes. If you have any questions, you may aswell submit it on the forum and wait for others to help you. I started scripting PAWN back in 2012 and started with small scripts like /akill (which I remember vividly and it had a lot of bugs in it to even work LMAO which I eventually fixed) and now I can create a whole gamemode from scratch by myself. Also, use a freehost (e.g ultrahost) and create a gamemode from scratch (whichever mode you prefer) and keep on adding stuffs by yourself and test them there and get your friends to test it with you as well.

Trust me, this will be a wonderful journey. Just commit to the project and you will be all good. Do not get discouraged.

This was all from personal experience! Good luck for your journey!
Website | Forums| IP: 51.255.215.208:7817
AjaxM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2020, 06:53 PM   #4
SonnyGamer
Huge Clucker

Editing downloaded script is good for starting, then try make your own gamemode and use samp wiki to learn functions
Discord: SonnyGamer#6603
SonnyGamer's Community: https://discord.com/invite/AQNA4ka
My Forum: https://stuntandreas.boards.net/
SonnyGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2020, 11:28 PM   #5
AkiraR
Little Clucker

The way I learned was through trial and error. Where did I go wrong, can I fix it?, and if I can how so? Repeat.
vanilla-remastered.com
-
I do not encourage the use of SAMP Add-On.
Grand Theft Auto series - Need for Speed series - Steam Related series
AkiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2020, 02:34 AM   #6
Wolfe
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraR View Post
The way I learned was through trial and error. Where did I go wrong, can I fix it?, and if I can how so? Repeat.
this is the most consistent and realistic way to learn it possible with the help of peers and questionnaire forums
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Renisal
Big Clucker

try to fix bugs, if you need help then use wiki sa-mp, it will tell you function uses, how to use it, etc.
Renisal is offline   Reply With Quote