SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP > General

Old 22/04/2019, 05:00 PM   #11
cuber
Gangsta

Default Re: Ideas about launching a server

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerruv View Post
Your staff team should treat the players much more important than themselves.
If this is how you run your server, i feel bad for you and your staff members my dude.
cuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/04/2019, 05:24 PM   #12
Escobabe
Huge Clucker

Starting a roleplay server in 2k19 is a dead end, there isn't anything unique left for rp servers nowadays, every other server has that unique-dynamic-multifunctional system. I do not by any means want to discourage you, you can do whatever you want, it's just my opinion.

Los Santos Underground
Soon...
Escobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22/04/2019, 08:05 PM   #13
KeyOfKey
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escobabe View Post
Starting a roleplay server in 2k19 is a dead end, there isn't anything unique left for rp servers nowadays.
Correction: There isn't anything unique left for ALL type of servers nowadays.
KeyOfKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/04/2019, 05:55 PM   #14
Wavybone
Little Clucker

What really stands out to me in for a roleplaying server is the community and staff.
I've recently started playing SA-MP after a couple year hiatus. Actively searching for a new, small server to call "home," I've found nothing but communities run by incompetent pre/mid-teens. Nothing against the age, but the issue is their mannerism appeals to and attracts toxic individuals - most of which become fanboys of the server and drive out and potential growth.

I've still yet to find a relatively new roleplaying server that has both a friendly community, and competent team.

Along with a unique script, I believe a roleplay server requires just a slightest bit of professionalism within their team and openness to new ideas in order to be successful.
Wavybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/04/2019, 06:55 PM   #15
d3Pedro
Huge Clucker

Just don't launch a server.
d3Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/04/2019, 07:20 PM   #16
Variable™
Gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyOfKey View Post
Correction: There isn't anything unique left for ALL type of servers nowadays.
False.
Old 24/04/2019, 08:20 PM   #17
nl-videomaster
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escobabe View Post
Starting a roleplay server in 2k19 is a dead end, there isn't anything unique left for rp servers nowadays, every other server has that unique-dynamic-multifunctional system. I do not by any means want to discourage you, you can do whatever you want, it's just my opinion.
Well, regardless it doesn't matter, players claim they want something unique, but when you offer them something unique they still disappear anyways. People now-a-days just have this hard on for experiencing something new every other day. So for a server to remain relevant you need more than 1 update a week, and it must contain something "new, exciting and unique" what people just don't realize is that this is simply impossible.

Most SAMP servers are donation based communities, which means that the servers solely exist because people donate money to it, this often means that all staff is unpaid. Which means no one can do development full time, and if it is paid, still no one can do development full time, as no one has the money to pay for a full time developer for samp either.

So now that you've lost your "unique player, playerbase"
Lets move on to your recurring players, players that weren't playing for the unique stuff. Now there's not enough to sustain a fun playerbase... so they leave too... :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3shys View Post
The only real niche you can target is medium (leaning a bit heavy) roleplay, like MTG was. LSRP obviously lost playerbase due to bad decisions, but most of their players have left SAMP alongside the server. Low RP, you can't beat Horizon and Lawless and Italy. Their players are satisfied.
Actually you're right here, but you have to combine this with a totally unrealistic economy so everyone can be happy with themselves being able to simply afford life without any troubles. That's how you get players.

I kind of question what us players that ACTUALLY want HEAVY RP have to do to have some good RP now-a-days.
You know, a server where the economy is somewhat realistic, where you don't buy a car for 50k and or a trailer home for 100k and so on...
Yet we all imagine life as something infinite, some believe in Heaven and Hell, others believe that our souls come back as another living creature, others believe your souls wonder around the world. Not even me, an atheist, I feel like it's going to be dark and black, but I know there'll be nothing."
"When you don't want to hear the truth, then don't talk to Wilson"
nl-videomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26/04/2019, 09:12 AM   #18
m3shys
Big Clucker

What you're saying videomaster about economies isn't fully accurate. When money is flooded servers are boring if it's very easy to get a car and house for each character. Guns being flooded is also boring as everybody has them and there's no value to them. Refunding servers light or medium or even heavy have always been memes and always flop. The grind is actually always enjoyable as you can make money through roleplaying with factions. Script grinding can also be reduced through hourly paychecks rather than having to constantly do something like trucking.

If you're not happy, make your own competitor with your friends. When LSRP management REALLY went downhill and the perfect chance for a competitor came, it was very bad timing for SAMP. The two parallel versions of the same mod really has caused a divide in players, you must choose one or the other, at one point it was only a forum link and it still isn't default choice and easy to miss. The other issue is mainly people lost faith after BARP screwed up and leave the SAMP scene with LSRP as it's the only server they play. Plus there's many servers that don't operate for longer than a month or keep relaunching because they think a grand launch is all they need despite their issues. It's hard for players to get invested or care in these cases until it's big basically.

Or you could argue the perfect competitor came through but is just on GTA 5 as it's the same LSRP people doing text roleplay on 5. Though I think I just love the nostalgia of SA but also love the map and custom mapping far more here.
m3shys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27/04/2019, 01:46 AM   #19
Trevor19012
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3shys View Post
What you're saying videomaster about economies isn't fully accurate. When money is flooded servers are boring if it's very easy to get a car and house for each character. Guns being flooded is also boring as everybody has them and there's no value to them. Refunding servers light or medium or even heavy have always been memes and always flop. The grind is actually always enjoyable as you can make money through roleplaying with factions. Script grinding can also be reduced through hourly paychecks rather than having to constantly do something like trucking.

If you're not happy, make your own competitor with your friends. When LSRP management REALLY went downhill and the perfect chance for a competitor came, it was very bad timing for SAMP. The two parallel versions of the same mod really has caused a divide in players, you must choose one or the other, at one point it was only a forum link and it still isn't default choice and easy to miss. The other issue is mainly people lost faith after BARP screwed up and leave the SAMP scene with LSRP as it's the only server they play. Plus there's many servers that don't operate for longer than a month or keep relaunching because they think a grand launch is all they need despite their issues. It's hard for players to get invested or care in these cases until it's big basically.

Or you could argue the perfect competitor came through but is just on GTA 5 as it's the same LSRP people doing text roleplay on 5. Though I think I just love the nostalgia of SA but also love the map and custom mapping far more here.
I have never been on one server where a grind is actually "enjoyable". I believe items such as a house and vehicle should always be easily available to the player. This way players can create their own fun and roleplay how they want, with having what they want always available to them.
An economy needs to be realistic, not a basic 4 door sedan for nearly 100 grand or a basic one bedroom house for almost quadruple that price. To make a true competitor the person has to be motivated enough to actually change how the status quo in roleplay servers is defined. Move it to a different city, edit the hell out of the map of that city and make something unique out of it. Anywhere in SA can be mapped to suit the roleplay needs of anyone. Don't purchase expensive forum software off the bat, don't buy 500 player slots off the bat either. People close down their ideas because they get no players within the first week or two of opening and because they maybe wasted their money on expensive software that isn't needed. Your ideas can be unique, just look how at you want the status quo to be in your own mind and server and implement that idea. Don't look at others and copy their idea of the status quo.

There is so much stuff on this forums that is readily available to any developer who wants to actually make something unique and it actually blew my mind when I started coding how much resource I have here, and its great.
Old 27/04/2019, 06:29 AM   #20
m3shys
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor19012 View Post
I have never been on one server where a grind is actually "enjoyable". I believe items such as a house and vehicle should always be easily available to the player. This way players can create their own fun and roleplay how they want, with having what they want always available to them.
An economy needs to be realistic, not a basic 4 door sedan for nearly 100 grand or a basic one bedroom house for almost quadruple that price. To make a true competitor the person has to be motivated enough to actually change how the status quo in roleplay servers is defined. Move it to a different city, edit the hell out of the map of that city and make something unique out of it. Anywhere in SA can be mapped to suit the roleplay needs of anyone. Don't purchase expensive forum software off the bat, don't buy 500 player slots off the bat either. People close down their ideas because they get no players within the first week or two of opening and because they maybe wasted their money on expensive software that isn't needed. Your ideas can be unique, just look how at you want the status quo to be in your own mind and server and implement that idea. Don't look at others and copy their idea of the status quo.

There is so much stuff on this forums that is readily available to any developer who wants to actually make something unique and it actually blew my mind when I started coding how much resource I have here, and its great.
If you give players enough money for a shitty car to start off with, that's fine. I don't think you need to give them a house really (I think that's too far and also a lot of property will go inactive so you best have an auto-removal system) but stuff like renting apartments should be available instead. Government loans are acceptable as long as the pay-back is enforced and selective, to start things such as roleplay businesses (not script ones).

You can roleplay and there's basically no grind. Join an illegal faction and sell guns/drugs. Join a legal government faction (PD/FD/GOV) and you're always roleplaying and getting a paycheck. Taxi driver and mechanic are the same thing as long as you have intelligent economy design. Realistic economy design is obviously required. Obviously you do need to inject money into the economy rather than just take it out (with properties and vehicles and deaths and repairs and such), so balanced scripted jobs like trucking (assuming not directly linked to businesses) can be fun due to variety for some players while listening to music/podcasts and waiting for people to come online to roleplay with, whilst rewarding them at an accelerated rate which not everybody needs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "buy 500 player slots". I hope nobody is using those game-based scam (overpriced) hosts when you can get a VPS for $5 to start off with a month considering SAMP hardly uses any resources at all. And a lot of the expensive forum boards these shitty communities have are actually just nulled software, it doesn't mean anything in this community.
m3shys is offline   Reply With Quote