SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Server > Server Support

Old 10/09/2018, 12:32 PM   #11
Sithis
Gangsta

Default Re: Fix my brains please - Account passwords

Probably means they are either pure shit and don't hash your password at all, in which case you should leave their server because they obviously don't care about security at all.

Other scenario is that they hash your passwords but without a salt or the same salt for every account. In that case they have no idea what they are doing but it seems plausible this is just because of their lack of knowledge. You can either attempt to suggest them how it should be done or just leave the server.

In any decent setup, the stored passwords are hashed with a decent cipher (SHA-256 or above) and have a unique salt per account. Even better would be if they repeated the process multiple times to create a stronger hash (stretching), however that's optional IMHO.
Old 14/09/2018, 03:58 PM   #12
NoahF
Gangsta

Account security is the responsibility of server owners and developers. Unfortunately, this is often overlooked and rushed. Sorry you had to endure that. Poor ownership and development!
NoahF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/09/2018, 04:01 PM   #13
ShihabSoft
Banned

As many of 'em mentioned. Most of the GMs which are released after 2k14 uses the whirlpool or some sorta password hashing system.

He must have compared your's and your brother's password hashes and warned you to change it. But that's really none of one's business, even if he's the server owner. If he knows your exact password, then possibly the passwords are stored plain or the server must be collecting your passwords in a separate log or some sort. I'd advice not to use the same password for different servers, including the passwords which are associated with any of your non samp accounts like Gmail, ********, etc.

There's a HIGH RISK in it. Be safe!
ShihabSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/09/2018, 11:26 PM   #14
AdamCooper
Banned

You can see if the HASH is the same no need to see your password.
useless thread..
AdamCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24/09/2018, 11:36 PM   #15
ConnorW
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahF View Post
Account security is the responsibility of server owners and developers. Unfortunately, this is often overlooked and rushed. Sorry you had to endure that. Poor ownership and development!
I totally agree with you. Also nowadays you see a lot of upcoming projects handled by immature people.
ConnorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/09/2018, 12:46 AM   #16
v1k1nG
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCooper View Post
You can see if the HASH is the same no need to see your password.
useless thread..
Hello mr developer. What is password salting to you?
EDIT: And you are offering online services too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorW View Post
I totally agree with you. Also nowadays you see a lot of upcoming projects handled by immature people.
True
v1k1nG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/09/2018, 03:18 AM   #17
Zeus666
Gangsta

you just made me change every social media + every password on any website

at 05:00 morning. good job
Zeus666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/09/2018, 05:02 AM   #18
AdamCooper
Banned

Well first of all its obvious you wont insert your paypal email and password as your SAMP account unless you brainless.

Second and I will say this again and explain your more good mr.sarcasm :
My password : 123456 = HASH password AS23%SS ==== Your password : 123456 = HASH password:AS23%SS
AdamCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/09/2018, 11:40 AM   #19
ConnorW
Big Clucker

Quote:
Well first of all its obvious you wont insert your paypal email and password as your SAMP account unless you brainless.

My password : 123456 = HASH password AS23%SS ==== Your password : 123456 = HASH password:AS23%SS
It doesn't matter bro, there's a lot ways to get your password even if it's hashed, let's say at the login dialog, you simply add a
PHP Code:
new string[64]; format(stringsizeof(string), "%s"inputtext); printf(string); 
and walah the developer/owner got your password, the only way to avoid that, just don't use the same password you use in other platforms.

EDIT: Basically, there are servers around which they don't use HASH for password, they just don't touch them, but when there are more than three people, having access to your database or files, the owner should hash the password, just to avoid "account hacking" later on if there any conflict happened.
ConnorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25/09/2018, 02:39 PM   #20
v1k1nG
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Since you do not salt passwords and act like this, I would be brainless in registering an account in one of your services too. Despite of the service, my informations are mine and so they are private and need to be protected!

Quote:
In 2 posts you are repeating the same thing. Everyone here knows that, no one here in this thread is asking how hashing works. The thread is about people thoughts about all these people (like you, it seems) telling people "register register register an account! my services: bla bla bla" to earn money but then you do not even know how to manage passwords properly.
And since this is a dev forums, this is even worse, since not only passwords are info to protect and keep secret.

Now I do not even know you, but please learn how to manage users' data proeprly. Peace.
v1k1nG is offline   Reply With Quote