SA-MP Forums

Go Back   SA-MP Forums > SA-MP Server > Server Support

Old 14/04/2019, 10:25 PM   #61
Kalcor
SA-MP Developer

Default Re: Servers are getting attacked

My server isn't crashing. It's possible servers are using a memory plugin for R2 server.

Do you know how to get a backtrace?

run the server in gdb
Code:
$ gdb samp03srv
(gdb) run
* wait for crash*
(gdb) bt
Post the log of the bt
Kalcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/04/2019, 10:48 PM   #62
xo
Big Clucker

@Ubi take a look on OVH's docs: https://us.ovhcloud.com/products/security/anti-ddos

They provide custom routines for specific game servers ( including SA:MP ) using their hardware. To analyze both incoming and outgoing packets (high outgoing traffic originally caused by UDP flood by spoofed packets? which are already filtered by their hardware based on the game server type) and their causes and start mitigating them + the packet caching they use

Though, that only exist on the game range of servers.

I got attacked not so long ago on my server for a week by the same method, switching to to a GAME firewall did the job.

Two-way mitigation: a filter on entry and exit
For every type of attack, we've built a specific response closely integrated to the servers and directly integrated within the Tilera hardware. The big innovation is a filter that analyzes the incoming and outgoing traffic to better identify legitimate requests. It's capable of distinguishing real clients connecting to the machine from harmful attacks. Anti-DDoS GAME therefore also plays the role of a cache and a filter for TCP/IP and UDP packets.

A router located next to the machine analyzes packets. This router treats every hosted game as a special case. For example, the router acts as a cache to relieve the router of useless requests.
xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14/04/2019, 11:23 PM   #63
Ubi
Little Clucker

Yeah, we (as a hosting company) are using such protection for quite a long time but i'm pointing to something else. Disabling query limiting at all (player packets especially) might result in bouncing huge amount of traffic - even if they're caching some reqs on tileras. This can easily trigger OVH checks and result in server suspension. I'm not going to talk about any DDoS protection anymore, because that was not my intention. This was just friendly warning about possible consequences of setting querylimit to -1.
Old 14/04/2019, 11:54 PM   #64
Mobtiesgangsa
Big Clucker

i had noticed it from yesterday something wasn't right with the servers i wanted to test, i closed my server noticed some wired unexpected floods.
Mobtiesgangsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/04/2019, 02:03 AM   #65
RodrigoMSR
High-roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi View Post
I wouldn't recommend setting it to -1 because bouncing "players" packets might generate huge outgoing traffic (reflected). Your provider (e.g. OVH) may block your server due to outgoing attack which we've experienced in the past.
So queryflood 0 won't cause my VPS to be suspended on OVH?

RodrigoMSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/04/2019, 09:53 AM   #66
Leoric
Little Clucker

My server crashes as-well (linux).
Leoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/04/2019, 10:08 AM   #67
ATomas
Huge Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo View Post
@Ubi take a look on OVH's docs: https://us.ovhcloud.com/products/security/anti-ddos

They provide custom routines for specific game servers ( including SA:MP ) using their hardware. To analyze both incoming and outgoing packets (high outgoing traffic originally caused by UDP flood by spoofed packets? which are already filtered by their hardware based on the game server type) and their causes and start mitigating them + the packet caching they use

Though, that only exist on the game range of servers.

I got attacked not so long ago on my server for a week by the same method, switching to to a GAME firewall did the job.

Two-way mitigation: a filter on entry and exit
For every type of attack, we've built a specific response closely integrated to the servers and directly integrated within the Tilera hardware. The big innovation is a filter that analyzes the incoming and outgoing traffic to better identify legitimate requests. It's capable of distinguishing real clients connecting to the machine from harmful attacks. Anti-DDoS GAME therefore also plays the role of a cache and a filter for TCP/IP and UDP packets.

A router located next to the machine analyzes packets. This router treats every hosted game as a special case. For example, the router acts as a cache to relieve the router of useless requests.
OVH's AntiDDoS have very bug's. I have been communicating with support for 9 months to fix it. And up to 9 months to get a real result. But not perfect. I didn't want to wait another 9 months, so I leave OVH.
ATomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/04/2019, 10:08 AM   #68
MustangV10
Big Clucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoric View Post
My server crashes as-well (linux).
Did you do what was suggested? What was the result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor View Post
My server isn't crashing. It's possible servers are using a memory plugin for R2 server.

Do you know how to get a backtrace?

run the server in gdb
Code:
$ gdb samp03srv
(gdb) run
* wait for crash*
(gdb) bt
Post the log of the bt
Old 15/04/2019, 11:02 AM   #69
Omega16
Little Clucker

Hello. I am the owner of a small hosting company. At this point we hosts mostly game servers (in general samp server). There was a cookie attack on one of the Samp server (hosted on a vds). The attack was no more than 100 mbps and 30-40.000 pps.

There were a few moments when the server responded with delay in the samp client app, but there were no major problems.

Even if some other client said that this attack has no effect on their services, I would like to create some rules in the firewall (even iptables would be OK) so the packets wont reach the end servers.
Omega16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15/04/2019, 02:21 PM   #70
Kalcor
SA-MP Developer

I need a server crash report
Kalcor is offline   Reply With Quote